Alternatives to Brooks saddle Proofhide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
Because the leather is a natural product (well, as natural as taking a dead cow's skin and soaking it in unknown nasty chemicals can be!), you get hard ones and soft ones. Some are pretty soft from the off and never noticeably break in, some stay hard but visibly break in after 1,000 miles or so (fine creases around the sit bone contact area). Some never break in at all; I commuted on a Spa Wharfe for a couple of years and it remained unaffected, and as hard as concrete. Never rode it more than 10 miles at a time, and wouldn't have wanted to. It broke a nose bolt bracket (Spa sent me a new one for free) and then popped a rivet (not easily home repairable) so the hardware was weaker than the leather!

There is an oft-repeated theory that honey Brooks are softer and more easily broken in, if they even need it, than the black ones. My experience of about 7 different Brooks saddles tends to bear this out. My honey Swallow and Team Pro were soft from the off and have stayed smooth, with no visible break-in. My black Swallow is harder and quite clearly broken-in at the back. My favourites are the large rivet vintage dark brown Professionals (not Team Professionals, which are a bit longer) which were "pre-softened" from new and just work.

A bit harsh there in the first sentence - we had a tour round the Brooks factory and I'm pretty sure that the immersion was in plain water ... IIRC the Brooks bloke put his hand in the tank to make the point.

... and the breaking in is an inexact process - I have 5 Brooks B17 saddles - 2 were quick to get comfortable (a brown and a black), 2 not quite so quick (both black) and one that's still rock hard after quite a few miles so has been moved to the Brompton (that's honey)

Rob

Spa cycles do there own brand - tad cheaper than proof ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
A bit harsh there in the first sentence - we had a tour round the Brooks factory and I'm pretty sure that the immersion was in plain water ... IIRC the Brooks bloke put his hand in the tank to make the point.

... and the breaking in is an inexact process - I have 5 Brooks B17 saddles - 2 were quick to get comfortable (a brown and a black), 2 not quite so quick (both black) and one that's still rock hard after quite a few miles so has been moved to the Brompton (that's honey)

Rob
Do Brooks tan their own hides then? Or buy the leather ready to use?

Gunk

Guru
I’ve tried the Brooks thing because being of a certain age they were the saddle to have. So I bought a Swift a couple of years ago and it was like riding on an iron bar, however I adjusted it, it was so uncomfortable, I’m back to a regular modern Selle Italia Gell saddle, wow what a difference. I let the Brooks go when I sold the bike. The new buyer didn’t even want it! So they are an acquired taste.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I had a Swift years ago and it was the same! Gave it away in the end.

Rob - I was referring to the tanning process (without which you would just have a lump of rotting skin). There are a multitude of ways to tan leather but they're often quite yicky. I don't think urine and faeces are used commercially these days...

carpenter

Über Member
^^^ obviously hadn't drained them ^_^

Top Bottom