Altura Night Vision Evo jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
Went out for a ride today, in what I hoped was going to be a shower, but it ended up bucketing it down for four hours. Chance to see what the jacket was made of as hadn't really got it wet since new a couple of months ago. just wearing a HH lifa long-sleeve top underneath. When I got back I was completely soaked. I know there is a certain amount of condensation build up, but I might as well not have been wearing it! Does this mean it is a) possibly faulty and not waterproof (unlikely I would have thought) b) not that breathable c) I am a sweaty bastard or d) some other reason I haven't thought of? I'd appreciate any thoughts about this jacket / issue
Ta
Rick

battered

Guru
b and c are the most likely;) . with only a Smelly Hansen underneath the chances of soaking up a drop of sweat is close to bugger all, so it gets sealed in. Put a plastic bag over a cup of tea and see how much water condenses on it.

I have a cheapy hi viz top that does this, I would have hoped Altura was better but perhaps not.

Danny

Legendary Member
In my experience most waterproof jackets will let in some water if you are in heavy rain for four hours. Water can get in through the seams, the zip area, or down your neck.

Also, I don't know what material Altura use as their waterproof layer, but I am sure that to keep the price down it won't be as good as Goretex.

BearPear

Veteran
I have that jacket and I thought it was water resistant rather than waterproof? I wore it last week as I walked to work and it kept me dry in the pouring rain, but that was only 10 minutes walking, not 4 hours cycling!

amaferanga

Veteran
There're two models of Nightvision jackets - one is windproof, quite breathable and water resistant, the other is waterproof, but not very breathable.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
I've definitely got the waterproof model - so it's a question of breathability I think ( or maybe as Danny says, water getting in through seams etc). I'll have to try standing in the rain sometime without expending any energy to see whether it let's any in :-)

Danny

Legendary Member
I've definitely got the waterproof model - so it's a question of breathability I think ( or maybe as Danny says, water getting in through seams etc). I'll have to try standing in the rain sometime without expending any energy to see whether it let's any in :-)
You could try taking a shower with it on to simulate 4 hours of rain.

Crankarm

Guru
You could try taking a shower with it on to simulate 4 hours of rain.

:rofl:

You are on form this evening Danny ............ Have you won something?

Crankarm

Guru
To the OP. I would suggest that although the jacket is waterproof, it is not that breathable so if sweating profusely whilst cycling you are basically a boil in the bag.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
I suspect you are right Crankarm about the breathability. There is another thread about a similar issue which mentions breathability in Summer. Hopefully it will be better in Winter. I had thought of standing under the shower in it Danny, but didn't like to mention it in case that seemed a bit weird. Clearly not :-)

Top Bottom