Aluminium water bottle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko

Veteran
Do any of you use an aluminium or stainless steel water bottle on your bike? I hear stories that plastic isn't good for you and makes the water taste a bit off. Any recommendations?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
wilko said:
Do any of you use an aluminium or stainless steel water bottle on your bike? I hear stories that plastic isn't good for you and makes the water taste a bit off. Any recommendations?

I drink from an old powerade bottle that I re-use and keep in my backpack :biggrin: No posh water bottles for me, hah

Plastic is completely fine to drink out of, many drinking implements are made from plastics including baby's bottles. Plastic bottles you buy soft drinks in etc. If it is inert it wont react with the liquid.

It does seem to taint the flavour, soft drinks from bottle and aluminium cans can taste marginally different (or is it the aluminium cans tainting it? who knowns?). But it is not harmful.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They often have a different mechanism with a straw which bends and seals when you close them, at least ones ive seen do. Problem with this is, you wont be able to fully empty them because you cant manipulate the straw to get the dregs :biggrin:

I like clear plastic water bottles - after they have been used for a while the taste goes away and being clear you can see if any algae or bacteria are taking hold and deal with it before it gives you a problem

I have an aluminium Scott water bottle, it was a gift and I can not find a picture on line. It is very well designed, there is a valve system to let air in as you drink giving you an even flow (the very similar Scott tour bottle has a puch pukk valve, mine does not). It also has a sprung cover, pick it up, squeeze the sides of the cover and it springs open: so no road debris in your mouth and no wrestling with the cover on the move.

Norm

wilko said:
Yes, Sigg. ;) Always used them for walking and cycling, the Sigg Sports bottle works well, IMO.

coruskate said:
How much do they weigh?
About 130g, or about 1/6 as much as the liquid you put inside them.

Top Bottom