Am I a bad bad person?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Confession

Being a firm believer in keeping cycling stuff simple

I sometimes click "follow" on threads about problems/issues/puzzles to do with more "advanced" bits.
I do the same. It's mainly so that I can feel a bit smug about the fact that my spare parts don't cost three figures.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I do the same. It's mainly so that I can feel a bit smug about the fact that my spare parts don't cost three figures.
good to see that I won't be damned alone.
Yep, I must admit to a warm glow at times to do with issues on:
strange noises
supply issues, even in normal times, of parts and their components
fraught compatibility issues
stuff being discontinued no time after introduced
other stuff

Venod

Eh up

I would have been with you on this, all my working life I have never been extravagant on my cycling spending, I never bought top end of anything, but strangely since retiring, I am spending more than ever on cycling , I think its the realisation that I am not here forever and money is for spending even though I have less spare.

Lozz360

Veteran
I would have been with you on this, all my working life I have never been extravagant on my cycling spending, I never bought top end of anything, but strangely since retiring, I am spending more than ever on cycling , I think its the realisation that I am not here forever and money is for spending even though I have less spare.
It’s not strange at all. All the time we are working we are encouraged to save money for the future. Therefore, we feel guilty about treating ourselves. When we eventually retire we get to spend the money we have been saving. The future is finally here! Many people find it difficult to change the mentality of switching from saver to spender once retired. Sounds like you have it sussed instinctively.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Just to clarify, in case some of the usual folks turn up, though I share @Lovacott 's pleasure at not having to spend a bundle on bits, this isn't really about money - just sheer simplicity, not having to frett about stuff that i feel I don't need for cycling pleasure, less time trawling the web for solutions and buying options and just riding sweetly running bikes I can easily fix.

Venod

Eh up
I have to admit to feeling a warm glow of satisfaction reading another thread about why my Di2 is playing up again.

Now this is a bit of topic, I have nothing against Di2 and if you want one why not, but I have considered it on several occasions and can't see any benefits for my use, I have spent a lifetime repairing mechanical things and a well maintained normal gear system just works, with no battery, remembering to charge etc involved, Di2 you press a button it changes gear, I move a lever it changes gear.

Another off topic bit, car electrical fuel injection is obviously universal nowadays, but the mechanical injection system on my lads early 1980s Sirocco was a match for any modern system, and a interesting thing to work on.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Sorry Blue Hills you are a very bad cyclist. You should take out a subscription to Cycling Plus immediately, so you can keep up with latest Advances in cycling technology. :laugh:
when i got into cycling I subscribed for several years - used to really look forward to it dropping through the letter box and as a self employed consultant would quite often sit down to hungrily devour it when I should have been working - I still have the bound copies - but gave up after it became focussed on the latest wonder machine/device I was supposed to be buying. It used to be a very broadly based mag. For cyclists.

Top Bottom