Am I being conned? Shimano SIS SP41 gear cable outer - fake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just received 5mtrs of cable outer I ordered from an online supplier and it is unbranded. I mean, the advert specifically states Shimano in the title (with logo) and shows the branded bulk box in the images for the item. However, the cable outer is not branded in the usual way. In my experience genuine Shimano stuff has the details clearly marked in silver text.
Here's two pieces I have left over from previous cabling jobs....
upload_2014-11-19_11-20-4.png

The latest delivery is plain black other than a barely legible/discernible imprinted Shimano logo at regular intervals

upload_2014-11-19_11-25-47.png

Construction appears similar to my other samples but as gear shifting is such an important quality to get right I don't want to compromise by using shoddy knock-off goods. Has anyone else had experience of buying bulk lengths of SIS gear cable outer (or even better, have a box of the stuff sat on the shelf) and can they confirm if the plain black stuff is legit?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Looks legit.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
My sp41 cable thats 2 years old looks like your first photo.

I wouldnt think that shimano would hace their top tier cable without some sort of indication on it.

That said, they did do some new cables for the 11 speed shifters thats supposed to be super-slick with some sort of internal coating.

Top Bottom