am i being daft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
Going to Uni in September. No matter how much I look through it I swear going for private accomadation as opposed to living in halls works out cheaper! :laugh:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No, you're not being daft.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
gaz said:
are you out weighing all your costs? heating, electricity and internet?
+ Halls is freaking awesome.

Yeah worked that out all into it and it still seems to work out cheaper. :laugh: Keep thinknig I haven't got the right thing.

marinyork

I'd say it's less a money thing and more what do you want kind of thing. Halls have been a rip-off for a good while.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
marinyork said:
I'd say it's less a money thing and more what do you want kind of thing. Halls have been a rip-off for a good while.

Yeah I'm wanting to get a flat with one of my mates, she's going to one uni in leeds, and me another. But it's at least £61 difference, between the two. But I don't know if i am missing anything out or not. Want my arguement to be air tight when it comes to it with my parents here .. :laugh:

Sambu

are they self catered or catered? catered are normally overpriced. i lived in halls they were £66 a week all bills covered. its definitely cheaper than private in my experience, and it is awesome, and helps you settle in real good!

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Sambu said:
are they self catered or catered? catered are normally overpriced. i lived in halls they were £66 a week all bills covered. its definitely cheaper than private in my experience, and it is awesome, and helps you settle in real good!

It's standard part catered and comes to £100.20 a week.

Ranger

From my experience (a long time ago) those not living in Halls in the first term seemed to miss out on a lot of the social aspects of Uni and never really seemed to catch up on that aspect of life away.

However that might have just been my perception of it

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Don't both with catered halls. total waist of time and money.

Ranger said:
From my experience (a long time ago) those not living in Halls in the first term seemed to miss out on a lot of the social aspects of Uni and never really seemed to catch up on that aspect of life away.

I would agree with you, a huge part of the social aspect of uni is built up around who you know in halls

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Ranger said:

That was one thougght about not living in halls, but then again never had trouble making mates. Will talk to anyone. :laugh:

wafflycat

Halls for first year are a positive. You get to experience the social side of uni much easier if you're in a hall and surrounded by other students, most of whom are in the same boat: first year away from home. Certainly when WCMnr did his first year in hall he had a great time. Plus the advantage of not having to MAKE SURE you've put enough money to one side to ensure gas, electricity, phone, water, etc all budgeted for. His was self-catering and he definitely benefited from it. Second & final year he's been in private accommodation. Final year much more pleasant than second year.

Edit: Forgot to add - when I went to university, back in the dim recesses of the dawn of pre-history, I didn't go into halls and I regret this very much. I missed out on a part of uni life others didn't.

HelenD123

Guru
Have you factored in the number of weeks the contract is for. You may need to rent the flat for 52 weeks but the halls will be for fewer. Usually you don't pay for halls over the summer and sometimes not for the Christmas and/or Easter holidays so over the year it may work out cheaper.

I agree with the comments from the others that people's social lives in the first year and beyond can centre around the friends they make in halls and you may find it difficult to break into these social circles.

marinyork

Kovu said:
Yeah I'm wanting to get a flat with one of my mates, she's going to one uni in leeds, and me another. But it's at least £61 difference, between the two. But I don't know if i am missing anything out or not. Want my arguement to be air tight when it comes to it with my parents here .. :laugh:

I knew someone who lived in the studenty areas of Leeds until last summer. I expect it would be cheaper outside certain halls, that may or may not be the case. I'd say if what you definitely want is not to be in halls and you have people lined up I'd say go for it. I'd worry a lot of the decent housing has been hoovered up at this late stage in the year though.

You'll get people saying both ways with halls. Some halls have great friendship chains going, others don't. I lived in one of the ones that didn't. Either way there are unknowns and it's a big plunge you'll have to live with and adapt to.

Top Bottom