Am I just being lazy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting another wheel with a trainer tyre on it so it's just easier to switch between going out and staying in for the 'wheel on' trainer. Am I just lazy for not wanting to just change the tyre/spindle as changing the wheel is easier? Perhaps it's time to upgrade to one of those wheel off fancy wahoo trainers? Would that make it simpler?

Matt

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not lazy just practical. Remember different hubs can be a mm or so different on cassette alignment with the chain, so you may need a quick couple of clicks on the mech adjuster.

yello

Am I just lazy for not wanting to just change the tyre/spindle as changing the wheel is easier?
Yes.... but then you are allowed to be lazy. It is your call.

Would that make it simpler?
Undoubtedly. Another question 'can you afford it?'

It doesn't matter what anyone here or elsewhere thinks. If you have the money to make life simpler for yourself then why not? (obvious caveats apply) You don't need to agonise over it, get it done if that's what you want :smile:

Edit: and, of course, as @fossyant unintentionally implies, one can find all manner of justifications too! Btw fossyant, I see that yours is a genuine consideration rather than a 'make yourself feel better' justification, I do not denigrate it!

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not lazy at all. I've a bike that's specifically on the smart turbo; it's got a cracked fork and broken front wheel so if the local thieves/scruffs/ :cursing: 's steal it life will be "interesting" for them.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting another wheel with a trainer tyre on it so it's just easier to switch between going out and staying in for the 'wheel on' trainer. Am I just lazy for not wanting to just change the tyre/spindle as changing the wheel is easier? Perhaps it's time to upgrade to one of those wheel off fancy wahoo trainers? Would that make it simpler?

Matt

Buy the gear you need to make life simpler & easier - life's too short to dwell on such matters. :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was using a spare pair on the turbo, but just the back wheel. Fortunately the hubs were from the same manufacturer so a straight swap with no gear fettling. I have spare wheels for 3 of my 5 bikes currently, although one set would fit the two without spares with narrower tyres.

Might be a chance for a wheelset upgrade and use old as turbo. All down to cost really

Not lazy at all. I've a bike that's specifically on the smart turbo; it's got a cracked fork and broken front wheel so if the local thieves/scruffs/ :cursing: 's steal it life will be "interesting" for them.
Is that the Dawes by any chance? How’s it holding up?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Is that the Dawes by any chance? How’s it holding up?

Dismantled and sold on to a club-mate for £20 to use on his turbo I'm afraid. It was fine for the Zwift Racing League - and was used in CycleChat's C team in the Zwift world final. Having lost my bike storage I had the problem of 16 bikes and only space for 10-12 maximum and something had to make way.

However, I've put my Raleigh SP Race on there instead; the Dawes was always a bit small for me and the Raleigh fits perfect.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I thought 150 quid was a bit steep.

Why did you pay that much then? The quality of the wheel doesn't matter a jot on a turbo, does it, but perhaps your cassette was expensive? Keep an eye on chain use/wear as it will be 'on duty' for both your Rouvy kms and your road mileage.
Don't see rim tape listed: maybe the wheels come with that already or your LBS is throwing that in as part of "putting together"?
And directly answering thread title: no, not lazy: sensible.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Why did you pay that much then? The quality of the wheel doesn't matter a jot on a turbo, does it, but perhaps your cassette was expensive? Keep an eye on chain use/wear as it will be 'on duty' for both your Rouvy kms and your road mileage.
Don't see rim tape listed: maybe the wheels come with that already or your LBS is throwing that in as part of "putting together"?
And directly answering thread title: no, not lazy: sensible.

I'm one of those people that don't ask first and then get to the counter and feel too embarrassed to back track. One day I will learn!

yello

I'm one of those people that don't ask first and then get to the counter and feel too embarrassed to back track. One day I will learn!

Me too kinda. I tend to chalk stuff up to experience and think maybe 'last time I do that' or something like 'last time I buy from them'

Still, you've got the wheel you wanted so it's job done. Next time you use your trainer you'll think only if it being what you wanted to achieve and the price won't play a part.

Top Bottom