Am I mad to even think about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm having a bit of a battle with my wife.

I used to play a lot of team badminton for 25 years until I was 45, when I gave it up, partly because of injuries and partly because I was more into squash. I haven't played for more than 25 years but last week I was in our local sports centre looking for Pilates classes when I wandered through the main hall and saw three courts being used by a lot of 50+ players, several of whom I recognised as opponents from my team days. I got talking to them and they were trying to talk me into playing again. They play three mornings a week and I said I'd give it a try after Christmas is out of the way.

My wife is totally against it and thinks I'm mad to risk it at my age with my history of tendon and ligament injuries and the metal plate in my neck, and that I have forgotten the problems that caused me to give it up. I started playing table tennis again two years ago after a forty plus year gap and that has made me think I could also play badminton. I cycle, and love it, and go to the gym but still miss the one-to-one competitive element.

Should I try it and risk injury (I know that if I start again I will be too competitive to take it easy), or just accept I am going through a late-life crisis, put the past behind me, and just stay fit with cycling/gym?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Play.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'd say play but do a few months Pilates first,and maybe get a check up.
I used to love squash,id probably do myself in if i played tomorrow,and im only 53.

You know its going to be tough!!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
There is no easy answer. If your wife really is strongly against it, think carefully about it as it could affect your relationship. Is it worth it? You say you cycle and go to the gym, isn't that enough? On the other hand, you could give a go and promise your wife you will stop if you suffer any injuries. Not an easy decision.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
There is no easy answer. If your wife really is strongly against it, think carefully about it as it could affect your relationship. Is it worth it? You say you cycle and go to the gym, isn't that enough? On the other hand, you could give a go and promise your wife you will stop if you suffer any injuries. Not an easy decision.

It won't affect our relationship, which has always been strong and she knows how important playing sports has been to me all my life. But she nearly died eight years ago and is a worrier about health issues.

Slick

Guru
Discretion is normally the better part of valour but they even play walking football now so as long as you know your limits without doing anything daft you will be fine. Enjoy

MarkF

Guru
Play.

I am in good shape and use the gym but I stopped playing football 2 years ago this Xmas Eve at 53, my opponents were getting ever younger................but I've slowed up quickly without all that twisting and turning and energy bursts, I am seizing up. Cycling doesn't stretch all your bits. Badminton sounds a great way to keep healthy/fit/flexible to me. :okay:

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Discretion is normally the better part of valour but they even play walking football now so as long as you know your limits without doing anything daft you will be fine. Enjoy

I suspect I will quickly be all too aware of my limits.

I played team squash until I was 60 but there is no way I will ever play that again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom