Am I out of my mind or not? Quite urgent!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex11

Right, OK, I know there is a lot of bad press about converting old French racing bicycles into singlespeeds. As you might know I've been looking for projects bicycles and I may have found a very cheap Mercier racing bike, Tour de France model, and I was wanting to know whether this is going to be a pain in the :banghead: to convert or not?

I want to do a simple conversion and restoration. Dissemble, grease, clean, polish, tinker etc. reassemble, with simple new parts like freewheel, tyres, bar tape etc. Is it going to be a problem?
What problems will I face?

Help me quick as I've got to make a decision on it really soon!

^_^

'A lot of bad press'? Really? Why?

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Well I've heard personally the threading is a bugger or something and you struggle to get parts that work... ?!

I'm hoping it's all a myth as it is a beautiful frame

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Well I've heard personally the threading is a bugger or something

Some or all of the threads may be obsolete. As per usual, Sheldon has the information you need.

For headsets you need this page, then scroll down a bit to the table.

For Bottom Brackets you need this page.

I realise this doesn't completely answer your question, but it does tell you what non-standard/obsolete threads you might encounter on vintage French frames.

For Bottom Brackets you can get away with obsolete threading if you buy a BB where the two retaining cups thread onto each other, rather than into the frame. For headset I suppose it might be possible to convert to ahead system, or just buy new forks.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Thanks for the links.

I'm not actually going to be replacing headsets or bottom brackets on it, just cleaning and greasing but it was good info.

What I plan to do with it is to take off a chainring, select the best number of teeth for what I'm after, use that one, take off cassette and whip on a freewheel, get rid of the derailleurs etc.
Then just a general restoration with dissembling and reassembling after cleaning and greasing the parts :-)

Not sure on the paint yet. It's a beautiful frame in green with all the original sticker so I think I'll keep it as is :-)

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Oh, it's just been snapped up :/

This has been valuable info though thank you, if I come across another Frenchie bike I'll know :-)

Still looking for a project though!

If your keeping the original wheels it's a doddle. If you're planning to fit modern wheels you may need to 'cold set' the drop outs accordingly, A.A.S.H.T.A.

Even if it's the latter it's not hard. I did it myself using the threaded bar method :thumbsup:

I''ve restored two 80's Peugeot now, one as a fixed gear, one as a modern restoration, (10 speed groupset).

The biggest problem with French bikes IME are 24mm seatposts. If you don't need a new one, happy days, if you do then I wish you the best of luck finding one.

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Thanks very much guys, I'm not specifically after a Frenchie bicycle, but I was definitely going to get that, someone nipped in before me :/

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
If you're able to re-use everything then no problem.

By the way, the French also had their own standard for freewheel threads.

You may have noted from the headset dimensions table that the ID of the steerer is slightly smaller than the 1" standard. Will a 22.2mm stem will go into a 22mm French steerer? I suspect not. So if the stem is unusable then you could have a problem.

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Yes thanks :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370634692...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_500wt_1413

I'm also having a look at that one as a project bike... My thoughts are that I'm doing this restoration conversion project this summer to while away some of my long holiday and after it I will want to sell the bicycle (unless I become emotionally attached to it - easily done!) and I will want to get my money back if not make a little profit.

Do you think there would be a problem reselling that Dawes?

Alex

Do you think there would be a problem reselling that Dawes?
I doubt it, but you'll be lucky to make any money. To stand a chance you'll need to keep any spends to an absolute minimum and re-use just about everything.

How tall are you? I'm 6' 5" and unless your a similar height you won't get emotionally attached to it as you won't be able to get on it, that frame looks to be a big 'un.

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Haven't got long left on this one, needs your final thoughts and opinions and ideas before I bid or not!

16 mins left.

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Hmm yes, what do you reckon I should bit max? I reckon I could restore it on £30-£40 ish?

Whats the max sale value you think I'd get for it?

Thanks

Top Bottom