Am I over reacting. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickr

Über Member
In the light of what seems like almost daily reports about the danger of inhaling diesel exhaust. I have from today stopped commuting to work by bicycle.

I’ve been commuting by bike for 5 years between Kingston and Chiswick and have loved it. Its been additive, like a drug. I've tried to ignore the dangers, but cannot do so any longer. I've tried many different routes but have found it impossible to avoid what I consider to be a dangerous level of exposure to the fumes.

Its seems to me that to have continued would been as idiotic as climate change denial.

Nah, I still do it. I feel the health benefits outweigh the risks. Ask 5 scientists for a conclusive verdict and you'll get 6 answers.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
People who commute by car and don't get any exercise are far more likely to suffer serious health problems than people who get exercise when they commute.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In the light of what seems like almost daily reports about the danger of inhaling diesel exhaust. I have from today stopped commuting to work by bicycle.
Then sorry but you've screwed up. Motorists, bus passengers and some walkers inhale more fumes: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...2/london-air-pollution-public-transport-video

Walking quiet routes is the only mode that does better than cycling, but you may not have such a route and it takes longer. So I think the best bet for most travellers is to carry on cycling, while doing whatever you can to help the campaigns to clean up the air.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
Can't you commute along the river path? Sounds like the perfect excuse for a new gravel bike ;)

The Main problem is crossing the river and getting into Chiswick

Overreacting.
You best not go out on foot either in that case as you are still breathing in the same air. Diesel particles don't magically stay in the road.

The latest advise to pedestrians is to walk as far away from the road as possible. I have been filtering between two rows of stationary traffic.

This.
And the health benefits of cycling still outweigh the risks.

I don't think so

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ulates-diesel-cars-fossil-fuels-a7756101.html

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
So what do you consider to be dangerous levels of exposure to the fumes? Have you metered the levels of fumes you are cycling through?

And your alternative transport is?

Top Bottom