Am I over reacting. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Why not just wear one of those mask things that I have seen cyclists wearing in big cities.

Because they're entirely ineffective.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Main problem is crossing the river and getting into Chiswick

The latest advise to pedestrians is to walk as far away from the road as possible. I have been filtering between two rows of stationary traffic.

I don't think so

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ulates-diesel-cars-fossil-fuels-a7756101.html
Kingston to Chiswick looks a pretty OK commute, through Richmond park, choice of 2 bridges to cross the Thames. Quite a few back-roads less frequented by trucks and buses.
Walk over the bridges on the upwind side to remove you from filtering between buses?

Your alternative is....
Infernal combustion Car? Do these filter all diesel particulates?
Electric car?
Bus?
Train?
Horseback?
Personal Jetpack (I was promised we'd all be using these when I was a kid).

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
And they must be a bit more effective than walking a couple of metres away in the same air.

From what I understand (which may not be up to date information, I admit), none of the main brands of masks aimed at cyclists (eg Respro, Totobobo) are able to filter out ultra-fine particles, which are the most harmful ones.

The filter will probably go grey after an hour's use in central London but that only means it has caught the larger particles.

What's more, they tend to make breathing very difficult if you're putting in anything above the bare minimum level of effort - so probably fine for walking, but not really for cycling.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
From what I understand (which may not be up to date information, I admit), none of the main brands of masks aimed at cyclists (eg Respro, Totobobo) are able to filter out ultra-fine particles, which are the most harmful ones.

The filter will probably go grey after an hour's use in central London but that only means it has caught the larger particles.

What's more, they tend to make breathing very difficult if you're putting in anything above the bare minimum level of effort - so probably fine for walking, but not really for cycling.

I was more thinking about a multi-pack of paper masks from B&Q which would probably be even less effective.

A relation of mine commuted on a motorcycle into central London in the 1960s.

He told me his face was black at the end of a journey, particularly if he'd ridden through a pea souper.

His children used to like to see the two white circles after he'd removed his goggles.

Vegan1

You're wrong. :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
As an asthmatic whose condition reacts badly to diesel fumes, I fully understand the OP's reaction. I suspect that larger cities are nearly always going to bad news for everyone especially on dry still days. The more rain and wind you get on a day the cleaner the air will be.

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member

The correct ones are available, they'll filter out the particles. You have around 30 - 45 minutes of use from them.

Simontm

Veteran
The Main problem is crossing the river and getting into Chiswick

The latest advise to pedestrians is to walk as far away from the road as possible. I have been filtering between two rows of stationary traffic.

I don't think so

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ulates-diesel-cars-fossil-fuels-a7756101.html

Kew Bridge or Chiswick? When I was in Paddington, I went via Kew Bridge onto Chiswick High. You're over it in about a minute or so. The biggest problem would be the Petersham Road where there are frequent bottlenecks at the bottom of Richmond Hill, so take the park route

Top Bottom