Am I over reacting. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I think you've overreacted. Pollution is harmful to some extent of course, but pollution exists whether you're driving, bussing, walking or whatever. Cycling to work is really good for you and to give that up is the far bigger risk to your health.

dodgy

And still hasn't told us what his alternative commute plans are.

PK99

Legendary Member
In the light of what seems like almost daily reports about the danger of inhaling diesel exhaust. I have from today stopped commuting to work by bicycle.

I’ve been commuting by bike for 5 years between Kingston and Chiswick and have loved it. Its been additive, like a drug. I've tried to ignore the dangers, but cannot do so any longer. I've tried many different routes but have found it impossible to avoid what I consider to be a dangerous level of exposure to the fumes.

Its seems to me that to have continued would been as idiotic as climate change denial.

Which way do you commute?

Richmond Park and Sheen is a pretty good low traffic commute.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good to know. What are they like for cycling in?
You'll draw air in at slightly increased rate, like you said. But the warmer air leaving can leave your face feeling damp.

Found them irritating to the skin, but I was using them for less than a month, whilst cycling.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
And still hasn't told us what his alternative commute plans are.

I will be using overground trains. I have not seen any survey regarding the air quality on trains, but I think its safe to say that its better than Chiswick High road at 18:00. Even if it were worse (which I very much doubt), I will not be breathing hard. The total volume of air passing through my lungs will be greatly reduced.

Regarding the reduction in exercise. Its not as if I'm going to be completely sedentary. I'll have more energy for other forms of exercise.

To be honest pollution is not the only reason I have given up. The fear of being hit has played a large part too. I've survived 5 years with no injuries and hopefully no long term side effects. As I said in my initial post, its like a drug, I love it but I know its very dangerous.

vickster

Legendary Member
I will be using overground trains. I have not seen any survey regarding the air quality on trains, but I think its safe to say that its better than Chiswick High road at 18:00. Even if it were worse (which I very much doubt), I will not be breathing hard. The total volume of air passing through my lungs will be greatly reduced.

Regarding the reduction in exercise. Its not as if I'm going to be completely sedentary. I'll have more energy for other forms of exercise.

To be honest pollution is not the only reason I have given up. The fear of being hit has played a large part too. I've survived 5 years with no injuries and hopefully no long term side effects. As I said in my initial post, its like a drug, I love it but I know its very dangerous.
It's really not (as evidenced by your 5 years with no injuries) but it's your decision.

classic33

Leg End Member

Long term side effects, it got you cycling more.

Travelling by train can result in more colds/infections being caught. All that rebreathed, damp air, that's passed through a system that might have been cleaned.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The fear of being hit has played a large part too. I've survived 5 years with no injuries and hopefully no long term side effects. As I said in my initial post, its like a drug, I love it but I know its very dangerous.
Not terribly dangerous then.....
Enjoy overground trains, you'll need drugs to use them every day!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's really not. I think I've been hit twice in about 40 years: once from behind by another bike (maybe 10 years ago) and once from the front/side by a car (a few weeks ago). Still no injuries.

Travelling by train can result in more colds/infections being caught. All that rebreathed, damp air, that's passed through a system that might have been cleaned.
Isn't it more all the sick people transferring germs onto the train's surfaces by sneezing and touch, which you then touch and eventually transfer to a soft opening?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Seriously?

Personally I consider some of my other activities to be more dangerous and that would include driving.

Simontm

Veteran

Why not use Wellesley Road to and from Kew Bridge?

Top Bottom