Am I overdoing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yowser, am I suffering today!!! I started with 40 miles cycling on Tuesday and 5 hours of skating, and then did 20 miles riding and 3 hours of skating each day on Weds, Thurs, and yesterday. My muscles are aching and shivery, I feel zoned out and have done nothing but stay collapsed on the couch all day and have had a 2 hour afternoon nap. I've also got extreme hunger and thirst. It's not flu though, more like extreme distressing pain from overexercise.

I'm sure I used to be able to do much more than this last summer. Maybe it's just too early in the season to be fit enough?

Milo

Guru
Ya big jesse get out there :becool:

domtyler

Über Member
Sounds like you're coming down with something Mikey. Best take it a bit easy for a day or two. And remember you're not as young as you used to be! :becool:

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
It is vital that you rest or take it easy and recover between sessions of tough physical exercise.. It is very easy to over train.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Take a break Mikey, it's OK. I've had a tough week, very long stressful hours many on on my feet at work, rushed trip to Germany to see evening factory trials, Flight deklay stress, back home yesterday, quick-change to go to a leaving/disco/piss-up. Then out on a bike-ride with a few mates...I really felt too tired to go, which is rare, so I went anyway, 40 hard fought miles in cold windy conditions. Got home and I've been deae as a Dodo all evening, feel like flu, but it's not, just absolutely worn out. I knew that from the first turn of the pedals. So,(you know this stuff) take it easy, listen to your body, not your training schedule!

looks like i've got the same symptons as you B.M although i've been in Majorca:becool: (175 miles over 2 1/2 days ,climbing almost 3000 meters which i have never done before !!!!) i have got runny nose ,aches & pains,shivering a bit but not the full blown flu,I have decided to take the weekend off and hope i will recover but all my symptoms remain:blush:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, my own fault really. It's the sudden increase in demand for skating lessons with spring, together with not being able to have afternoon naps all last week. Afternoon naps really help with recovery!!!

The funny thing is I stopped doing on-skate training, and took the train which halves my commute to 20 miles round trip, and it still wasn't enough!

I'm still tired and not quite right today, but it's back to work. I'll just take it slow, and at least I have a full rest day tomorrow with another chance for a nap.

Keith Oates

Janner
<Am I overdoing it?>

To me the quick answer is YES, I would back off a little and then let the legs and system recover. After that a slower build up may be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cupoftea

How much exercise do you think you should be able to withstand 6 days out of 7? Is this really problem managing the change and getting your body to cope with it rather than the amount?

I guess your doing most of the sensible things, all I could suggest is to try snacking constantly, low GI food, on the bike and off, make sure that your drinking enough and possibly get some of that carb drink powder and use it very watered down.

Good luck

Top Bottom