Am I putting my head on the block?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am sick of hearing about the effects of lockdown , Brexit, Covid etc.... on people's health. Are we a nation of whimps?
My parents went through a world war that entailed occupation by the enemy, bombings, risks of being arrested by the gestapo and my father was. Emprisonment and torture in their hands, rashion books for food, fear of not knowing the future, lack of proper medicine ( my mother lost a child of 3 days old because she couldn't go to an hospital) .
And we complain about a few weeks of lockdown , despite having access to modern technology to keep in touch with our friends and families, so stop moaning and get on with your life. it isn't that bad really.
Rant over and call me what you like now , I can take it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Bad day, Gav?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I gave up buying newspapers about seven years ago because they started to give me a dismal view of the world. I made the mistake of replacing my print habit with an online one. The number of miserable buggers out there has multiplied in the last couple of years. We are all victims of something, and if we don't realise it, we are victims of something else. I still hope that the fad for gloominess will pass.

BTW, giving the Grauniad a miss does wonders for one's mental health.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My Dear Wife, You will surely understand that I have certain needs that you, being 57 years old, can no longer satisfy. I am very happy with you and I value you as a good wife. Therefore, after reading this letter, I hope that you will not wrongly interpret the fact that I will be spending the evening with my 18 year old secretary at the Comfort Inn Hotel. Please don't be upset----I shall be home before midnight.
When the man came home late that night, he found the following letter on the dining room table:

My Dear Husband, I received your letter and thank you for your honesty about my being 57 years old. I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that you are also 57 years old. As you know, I am a math teacher at our local college. I would like to inform you that while you read this, I will be at the Hotel Fiesta with Michael, one of my students, who is also the assistant tennis coach. He is young, virile, and like your secretary, is 18 years old. As a successful businessman who has an excellent knowledge of math, you will understand that we are in the same situation, although with one small difference - 18 goes into 57 a lot more times than 57 goes into 18. Therefore, I will not be home until sometime tomorrow..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My Dear Wife, You will surely understand that I have certain needs that you, being 57 years old, can no longer satisfy. I am very happy with you and I value you as a good wife. Therefore, after reading this letter, I hope that you will not wrongly interpret the fact that I will be spending the evening with my 18 year old secretary at the Comfort Inn Hotel. Please don't be upset----I shall be home before midnight.
When the man came home late that night, he found the following letter on the dining room table:

My Dear Husband, I received your letter and thank you for your honesty about my being 57 years old. I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that you are also 57 years old. As you know, I am a math teacher at our local college. I would like to inform you that while you read this, I will be at the Hotel Fiesta with Michael, one of my students, who is also the assistant tennis coach. He is young, virile, and like your secretary, is 18 years old. As a successful businessman who has an excellent knowledge of math, you will understand that we are in the same situation, although with one small difference - 18 goes into 57 a lot more times than 57 goes into 18. Therefore, I will not be home until sometime tomorrow..

Works better if it’s 19

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, your comparison quickly breaks down when we remember that far less people died during the Blitz than have died of covid.

Try as I might, I can't bring myself to knock folk who can't stop talking about something going round that stands a reasonable chance of killing them should they catch it.

I do agree that all the prattling about lockdown went a bit over the top considering the reasonable comfort, entertainment opportunities, and lack of Dornier bombers overhead that an enforced stay at home brings.

As for the other thing, that might be left to the Needy Amateur Communist Alliance forum.

Drago

Legendary Member
The sacrifices I’ve had to make for covid have been hurrendous. I’ve had to work from home, take the kids to school, wear a mask in a shop and eat a scotch egg with my pint. Honestly, those who lived through the blitz don’t know how lucky they were.
Mark, its ok, its ok. Itll be alright. Just hang in there.

Top Bottom