Am I putting my head on the block?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
is that just London?
No, according to ~ Wikipedia ~

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Try as I might, I can't bring myself to knock folk who can't stop talking about something going round that stands a reasonable chance of killing them should they catch it.

If the OP (and you) had been talking about the extremely vulnerable, then you would have a point.

But for the population as a whole, the Covid IFR is about 1%. While I wouldn't want to underrate the effects (sometimes long-term) of catching Covid, to call 1% "a reasonable chance of killing them should they catch it" is nonsense.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
From what I recall, most cc conttributers fall into two camps.

Camp A accepted the temporary lockdown measures and other rules. They missed friends/family/going out/loo roll (and much more) , but being considerate people they could see the benefits to society of these restrictions. They also wore masks, had vaccinations/boosters, and they would support further proportionate restrictions if necessary (eg masks and social distancing). In fact, they would welcome masks & social distancing and even work-at-home orders if that meant avoiding a full lockdown.

Camp B is a vocal minority of the population that decided they knew better. They include those who flouted lockdown rules and travelled/met/partied illegally. Or welcomed others into their homes. Or abandoned masks (if they ever wore them at all). They took advantage of the weak enforcement to do whatever the hell they liked. Some have even rejected vaccination. These actions cause unnecessary infections, unnecessary hospitalisations and unnecessary deaths.
I have to include members of the UK government in Camp B, for acting late (understandable once, but not subsequent times), for prioritising individual rights above public health, and for fostering a situation where enforcement of remaining restrictions is impossible.

There are two types of moaning going on:
There's the angry anti-science frothing-at-the-mouth moaning of Camp B who will happily put the lives of others at risk. Thanks for prolonging the pandemic and putting us all at risk.

And there's the kinder science-based reaction from Camp A, who merely want everyone to be more considerate. This is constructive moaning - let's hear more of it.

Edited for clarity/typo.

byegad

Legendary Member
67100 civilians died in the UK 1939-45. So we've lost in under 2 years twice as many people than an admittedly smaller population lost in civilian casualties in 6 years of war.

For people like me, old and vulnerable to chest infections, it has made a huge change to our lives. While we live in a nice house with a garden and a car in which we can and do take runs into the countryside, many have had to endure a small house or flat rarely leaving to see anything else but the same four walls. Others have had to leave home to work, mixing with people who may, or may not, take appropriate care in precautions.

I can well understand how some people are at the end of their tether.

markemark

Über Member
Thousands died during the pandemic. Many many more with lingering symptoms. Livelihoods lost. People left destitute. It has been hurrendous for countless.
For those who only worry that they couldn’t meet 7 mates in a pub or have to wear a mask in M&S or had to eat a scotch egg with their pint can quite frankly do one.
As to the comparison with the blitz, I agree. Imagine the moaners if rationing was brought back. Or conscription. All they’re being asked to do is sit back for a while and take a vaccine that 4 billion people have taken.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't frequent that particular club of comrades, but if you do please feel free to tell them of the above. The less well they think of me the happier I become! :laugh:

If the OP (and you) had been talking about the extremely vulnerable, then you would have a point.

But for the population as a whole, the Covid IFR is about 1%. While I wouldn't want to underrate the effects (sometimes long-term) of catching Covid, to call 1% "a reasonable chance of killing them should they catch it" is nonsense.

My wife and youngest daughter or both clinically vulnerable - my wife in particular, as she has an already life-limiting auto immune disease - and your exercise in maths will be of zero consolation should the worst should happen.

As has already been estabslished above - people are dying and have done so in siginificant numbers, and continue to do so, despite your efforts to ne argumentative for the sake of it. Your maths is all well and good, but does nothing to detract from the one hundred and sixty plus thousand deaths we have already seen. With 160,000 dead, and rising, I think people are quite within their rights to have it as a topic of concern, and thankfully they don't require either your permission or approval to do so.

Its a reasonable enough chance that he have had multiple lockdowns, mandating of mask wearing, massive vaccination programmes. Christ, I thought were unlucky with our current PM butnI thank my lucky stars that you weren't running the country when this crisis arose.

Indeed, I believe you should be safe from the virus because its too frightened to come anywhere near you for fear that you'll start an argument with it.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I don't frequent that particular club of comrades, but if you do please feel free to tell them of the above. The less well they think of me the happier I become! :laugh:

Your sterling work on making people think less of you has been noticed and appreciated. Next is trying to figure out what's wrong that makes you do this .

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I am sick of hearing about the effects of lockdown , Brexit, Covid etc.... on people's health. Are we a nation of whimps?
My parents went through a world war that entailed occupation by the enemy, bombings, risks of being arrested by the gestapo and my father was. Emprisonment and torture in their hands, rashion books for food, fear of not knowing the future, lack of proper medicine ( my mother lost a child of 3 days old because she couldn't go to an hospital) .
And we complain about a few weeks of lockdown , despite having access to modern technology to keep in touch with our friends and families, so stop moaning and get on with your life. it isn't that bad really.
Rant over and call me what you like now , I can take it.

Didn't we have a meta 'moaning about moaning' thread before??

Yup we've got it pretty lucky.
Compared with some

But we could undoubtedly have done a lot better, given our privelege as a country overall..

Wearing a mask isn't that awful, I quite like being able to go round the shops muttering under my breath ..

People around the world, are sadly still getting bombed though, Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen., to name a few.

I guess their grandchildren, won't ever be able to complain about anything either.

presta

Guru
I completely understand the worry for the extremely vulnerable, but those whining that lockdown was affecting their mental health are laughable. If they had any experience of having a mental health record they'd be in a bit less of a hurry to get one. As a reclusive hermit type, lockdown wasn't any different to my normal lifestyle.

Drago

Legendary Member
Next is trying to figure out what's wrong that makes you do this .
As a young child I was dropped on my head by a Trotsky impersonator.

But seriously Mr Fright, don't waste the time and effort worrying about it. I don't, and neither should you.

Never gave a sheet what people think, and never will. Im not going through life either as an apologist or keeping thoughts to myself so I don't offend someone who doesn't matter anyway.

I either ignore, dismiss, or give as good as I get to people who's words I don't like, and it seems some folk out there need to grow some stones and start doing the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom