Am I Really That Bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyM

Über Member
I also got a Tricross on C2W scheme 8 weeks ago, I can't tell you what a difference it has made to my life. I am nearly 2 stone lighter and I crossed the 600 mile mark today. My first ride was 4 miles on an old MTB and I couldn't even make the hill near my house that I now don't even notice.

You will soon be bitten by the bug, use strava, join cycle log and get on here regular. Set yourself a goal and when you reach it don't be affraid to tell everyone on here and they will motivate you to push harder for the next goal.

Good luck pal

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
When i got back on my bike the "massive hill" i struggled to get up is now in fact a very slight incline i dont even think about.
I've got a fair few like that. However I have now worked up to ones like this (link) which I was quite chuffed to have successfully climbed recently. (Just to show what can be achieved.)

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

I had sort of set a goal of doing the Cheshire Cat in March not sure what distance, guess it depends on how well i train, but thinking 30mile at present followed by the liverpool chester through the tunnel 50mile in july, followed by a coast to coast/ or similar distance charity ride in september ( Maybe Liverpool - basingstoke, work to headquaters)

So i do have some fairly big ambition!!!

But obviously depends on time/money/ motivation :sad:

One thing i did notice that front suspension just seems to sap energy, if you get out of the saddle on a MTB

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had sort of set a goal of doing the Cheshire Cat in March not sure what distance, guess it depends on how well i train, but thinking 30mile at present followed by the liverpool chester through the tunnel 50mile in july, followed by a coast to coast/ or similar distance charity ride in september ( Maybe Liverpool - basingstoke, work to headquaters)

So i do have some fairly big ambition!!!

But obviously depends on time/money/ motivation :sad:
I don't know about everyone else but that sounds pretty do-able to me. If you can get out 2 or 3 times a week and increase your mileage as often as possible, 30 miles by March shouldn't be too hard. As for the rest, once you can do 30 miles regularly then 50 is harder but manageable.

One thing i did notice that front suspension just seems to sap energy, if you get out of the saddle on a MTB
This is true and is why rigid bikes are still the norm for serious road use.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Cheers for that Phil, Was not sure if it was to little over eager or not

and every one else for the encouragement

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

In my first 2 months I have done a 30, 40, 50 and even a 64 mile ride and my average speed is around 13.5 mph so it can be done, I find it hard to make time but love being out and about so always manage to get a couple of miles in

Excellent Davey, Hopefully my progression is as good!!

Trail Child

Congratulations! :smile:

There's no failure at all. Congrats on your successful first ride!

My first ride back on a bike I still remember now, as I had to stop up what I thought at the time was a massive hill (I now know its a lengthy and gentle incline!), get off the bike and almost pass out. Seriously - I couldn't stand and thought I was about to lose consciousness! I thought I was 'relatively' fit too!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well not feeling to bad this morning, legs are fine but undercarriage is a little sore!

Your not going to get offers of help on the latter on here. :laugh:

Seriously though - first step is the biggest/hardest and you've done that.

I'm a relapsed cyclist newbie (not sure that makes sense) and I find mycyclinglog a brilliant little tool as you are part of something bigger in the groups section (albeit near the bottom) and you can view your results/progress depicted in a number of ways - if you like that sort of thing it is very motivational.

The Show Us Your Newbie Progress thread on here is a goodie too.

Have fun!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done for getting on your bike at this time of year. Its not the normal time of year for a first ride, so good on you. When we restarted 18 months ago or so, we had Apollo XC26 MTBs and they were heavy (40lbs) and knackered us on all our early rides but we stuck with them as we knew we had better bikes coming along in our near future and that really motivated us.
On our first few rides, we were doing 4 or 5 miles in 30 - 35 minutes on those old MTBs, so keep on keeping on and when that Tricross arrives you will be semi fit and have even more enjoyment out of it.

Top Bottom