Am I Really That Bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Devonshiredave

I've got to echo the support here. I fancied going put today until I saw the state of our local roads. I simply didn't risk getting the bike out for fear of coming off. Gotta applaud you for getting out there.
I have only recently returned to cycling after about 15 or 16 years. I have an old MTB that I resurrected and got bitten by the bug and took the plunge getting a new road bike to commute to work etc through the C2W scheme. Like everyone, your good self included, we all have to start somewhere. Do what you can when you can. Keep it up, keep in touch on forum. I've found this a huge source of encouragement, knowledge and friendship.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Failure? Of course you are! And after a bout of inactivity we are all prone to beat ourselves up.
There are hundreds on the forum, including me who've been in the same boat. Split 2013 into blocks of 3 months each...... you'll notice the improvement over these chunks of time.
By December 2013 you'll be fine. Then you can try running... you'll be a failure again!!!

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Cheers for the all comments. I am hoping to go out 4 times a week, barring any stupid weather.

So out again tonight and although slight quicker ( 30 seconds) and few less stops this time!!!

When riding if you stop Strava stop as well? I was slower in the climb but only stopped once, while last time i stopped a few times. So not quite sure how that worked.

The new bike can not come soon enough, I am probably making it such hard work for myself, I noticed the brakes are catching the rim and I am limited to 6 of 8 gears on the middle gear ring ( should learn the terminology really)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Try 'my tracks' as it records your moving time, overall time, moving average and overall average. I like this app as I can see how long I was stopped for. It also records your climbs and tells you your total elevation ridden in feet or metres. Not as good as Strava but it does give you a better breakdown IMO (maybe I just haven't worked Strava out properly yet though)

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been at it since August on an old MTB and it does get easier I assure you. Well done and keep going, it's great fun!
I would like to know when, i am going backwards since Aug/Sept, and the includes having done more difficult rides to try and improve.
Ridewithgps is good for analysing rides though unless you have a gps recorder that has tcx/gpx files you will need to export from either strava, endomondo, my tracks then import the tcx/gpx file, (this is not a bad idea anyway as it then gives you a copy of your ride to do with as you wish)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well done for getting out there in December! I seriously wouldn't worry about speed, at this stage of the game. Just get used to being on a bike and gradually increasing duration of the rides. The new bike will be a revelation and doing some rides on a knackered old MTB is not a bad way to start, imho :thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Cheers for all the encouragment, I can just about handle only having 6 or 7 gears! Much kudos goes to those with a single gear!

But will have to sort the brakes out i think, there probably killing me up the massive hill ( 0.7% for 1/2 mile :laugh:), Ok small incline!

Basically they are applying properly but not realsing, I think the mechanism is moving, is it just a simple case of making sure all the nuts and bolts are tight then?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If they are v-brakes, give them a good clean and apply some lubrication to the pivot points. Also try tightning the little screws that are found on the arm of the brake mechanism. They will increase the tension of the spring that pushes the arm (and attached brake block) back away from the rim, when the brake lever is released.

surfatwork

OP, I averaged 7mph on my first ride, so you cant be that bad!!!! I agree - it takes a lot of motivation to venture out when it is freezing like it is, so give yourself a pat that you did

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Cheers Sittingduck,

Yeah defo needs a little motivation to get out when the weather as it is, Not been able to go out this week so far due to other family commitments and now have a dose of man flu and aching all over.

I think friday at the earliest will be my next ride

just get out and enjoy yourself. wait until you can cycle for a couple of hours without stopping before you start beating yourself up at being slower on a certain section, about being overtaken by others, about being slower, about having to stop on hills. It does not have to be a punishment routine and more to the point, it is not meant to be either. Just enjoy it through the winter months, enjoy the great sunrises & sunsets, the wonderful misty mornings, and the cold blue sunshine: OK - I could be talking about another country, but yesterday whilst very cold and icy was wonderfully clear and sunny here and the hedgerows had some great icicles alongside all the flooding! Enjoy it.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Cheers Si,
Just an idea at the minute, I guess a lot depends on how much the bug bites and some other family stuff happening at the minute pans out.

Never been one for Charity rides etc as i have never had a cause close to my heart but looks like that might be changing :sad:

Top Bottom