Am I Really That Bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah that is pretty bad if we're honest. The best way to improve is to do more cycling. You will get better over time.
A bit harsh.
My first ride was no better back in June , 8.5 miles ' 9.32mph. and whilst I am no speed freak even now, I am managing 14mph avgs over most routes I do, and whilst not incredibly hilly, they aren't flat either, but like Stig say's just keep at it.
I have followed you on strava.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Maybe a little harsh but that ride was on a clapped out tank of MTB with brakes rubbing Lol.

Will be happy if I can get to 14-15mph average for 20 miles come late summer

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Main thing is you have gone out and done it, the speed increase will come naturally, not just with the new bike, and you will go further, faster and for longer before taking a break without you even realising it.

When I first started in August I did a 4 mile route with 2 breaks, went up to 9 mile route of Richmond Park with 2 breaks, then rode to Richmond Park and back on a 17.9 mile route with 2 breaks. Jumped to a 35 mile route with 1 break and finally did a 55 miler with 2 breaks. My speed has pretty much settled on 13.7 mph but having maintained that over longer distances it has been satisfying enough.

1 thing I have learnt, compare to your own results, not to any speed demons on Strava etc. It can be disheartening to see yourself in the bottom 35% of segments etc, so I tend to just ignore all that and concentrate on how I did this time to last time, and appreciate the natural progression of improvement.

Most of all enjoy it, one of the wonders I have found with bikes is seeing areas in a new way, and visiting places I would never have normally driven through in my car. Beats the gym in every way imo!

Main thing is you have gone out and done it, the speed increase will come naturally, not just with the new bike, and you will go further, faster and for longer before taking a break without you even realising it.

When I first started in August I did a 4 mile route with 2 breaks, went up to 9 mile route of Richmond Park with 2 breaks, then rode to Richmond Park and back on a 17.9 mile route with 2 breaks. Jumped to a 35 mile route with 1 break and finally did a 55 miler with 2 breaks. My speed has pretty much settled on 13.7 mph but having maintained that over longer distances it has been satisfying enough.

1 thing I have learnt, compare to your own results, not to any speed demons on Strava etc. It can be disheartening to see yourself in the bottom 35% of segments etc, so I tend to just ignore all that and concentrate on how I did this time to last time, and appreciate the natural progression of improvement.

Most of all enjoy it, one of the wonders I have found with bikes is seeing areas in a new way, and visiting places I would never have normally driven through in my car. Beats the gym in every way imo!
Ditto. Similar progression here. You can set strava to show the leaderboard of those you follow by default which if you follow people of a similar ability will give you a more balanced table, though do try to include those that are slightly better and slightly worse on your regular segments.

GentlyBenevolent

You're near some great cycling there. Last year I enjoyed doing bits along the coast up to Southport, the country lanes around Burscough/Mawdesly are lovely and there's the hills around Parbold and Ashurst Beacon for a nice challenge. Check it out on strava for some of the segments. A bit further afield and you can take in the ironman cycling course, from Rivington/Winter Hill to Eccleston, although it's a good distance from where you're starting.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

A short run out today, only 6 miles but had a go at the local hill ( its nothing special but I was a nice to get to the top without stopping)

So happy with that.

Less happy with my average speed, so I have bought a cycling computer, so during my short evening runs I will try to achieve 15mph for a period of time during the ride and try to lengthen it over time.

After sliding the saddle forward it feels much more comfortable but was less comfortable on the elbows and hands, so some tweaking required.

A short run out today, only 6 miles but had a go at the local hill ( its nothing special but I was a nice to get to the top without stopping)

So happy with that.

Less happy with my average speed, so I have bought a cycling computer, so during my short evening runs I will try to achieve 15mph for a period of time during the ride and try to lengthen it over time.

After sliding the saddle forward it feels much more comfortable but was less comfortable on the elbows and hands, so some tweaking required.
I would be happy if I could manage 15mph.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Did another short run last night just over 5 miles:

Using the cycle computer I concentrated on keeping a +15mph for 0.5 mile straight road. Done it mainly and averaged 15.9mph and new PB on the strava segment.

But really showing my lack of fitness.

One thing my knees are killing me this morning, I think its due to moving the seat foward. So back it goes.

Tribanite

Did another short run last night just over 5 miles:

Using the cycle computer I concentrated on keeping a +15mph for 0.5 mile straight road. Done it mainly and averaged 15.9mph and new PB on the strava segment.

But really showing my lack of fitness.

One thing my knees are killing me this morning, I think its due to moving the seat foward. So back it goes.

Also try using an easier gear,but spinning the pedals more. Will feel strange at first,but perservere. Your knees will thank you in the long run

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Been a little while since I have updated this thread.

TBH, I am disappointed in myself how little I have managed to cycle over the past 2 months, other than the social ride with Cycle Chat, a little jaunt along the wirral way and commute to work, the bike has been parked up.

The recent good weather spurted me into action along with the realisation that the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool 50 miles is only a month a way.

So did the Wirral Bikeathlon last sunday and clocked up 28 miles around 12.5mph.

And also had a run out with Liverpool Century last night on a social ride with the C group for 18 miles averaging near 14mph.

Hopefully more cycling to come and would like to get at least 35 mile ride in the legs before LCL

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Been a little while since I have updated this thread.

TBH, I am disappointed in myself how little I have managed to cycle over the past 2 months, other than the social ride with Cycle Chat, a little jaunt along the wirral way and commute to work, the bike has been parked up.

The recent good weather spurted me into action along with the realisation that the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool 50 miles is only a month a way.

So did the Wirral Bikeathlon last sunday and clocked up 28 miles around 12.5mph.

And also had a run out with Liverpool Century last night on a social ride with the C group for 18 miles averaging near 14mph.

Hopefully more cycling to come and would like to get at least 35 mile ride in the legs before LCL

So on 1st December u were just about managing 4 miles @ 8mph av and now your doing 28 mile runs @ 12mph!

I would call that significant progress!

Well done :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Cheers!

Also getting further into the murky world of cycling and going clipless. Pedals and Shoes bought. The question is do i just have a little cycle and get used to them or just jump straight in and go out with the group again tonight

I would have a little practise before going out. Having a quick spin around the block wont harm ypu for this evenings ride, but practise clipping in and out before setting off.

Top Bottom