Am I Really That Bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Had a brain fart and wiped my previous strava data :wacko:

Second ride out tonight, arse sore the moment it touched the seat, did a quick 4 mile which took a near 40 mins on the old mtb in 19 mins 06 seconds average speed of 12.4mph.

Picked up a top 10 on a segment on strava a 1/2 mile drag averaging 15.4 mph, was chuffed until I noticed only 19 people had done it lol.

Target is sub 2 mins so need to knock off 12 seconds

Overall quite happy tonight

Had a brain fart and wiped my previous strava data :wacko:
It should either be on your unit if you haven't that many rides on it, or do what I do, just copy the data to a folder on the computer, before you do anything with it. (this is part of my routine with pictures, back up the originals to dvd, I use 4Gb cards so they fit perfectly) I also have a complete copy of the units folder structure and all the data, and this is duplicated on another drive, my system has 4 drives.
Just a thought, that way you always have a copy.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Its been a while since I have updated this thread.

Its been a month since my last ride not good for a newbie, although a 2 week chest infection, overtime and bad weather is my excuse, although motivation has been lacking.

Finally got a chance to go out today, planned to do 15 miles whiston to ormskirk, had to detour to lydiate ( parents house instead of sisters), so added another 3 miles to the journey.

So 18 miles all together. Was very slow at 11mph but still enjoyed it and missed the rain. Give I had only done 8 miles before it was a big increase.

Going to spend tomorrow sorting the seat out, I have spoon to fit but feel I am sitting on the nose of the saddle, so not using my sit bones.

It made the ride very uncomfortable so never found a rhythm, and thinking was part of the reason for the lack of speed as needed to take the pressure off as never felt muscular or cardio tired. Does that make sense?

RWright

Guru
Its been a while since I have updated this thread.

Its been a month since my last ride not good for a newbie, although a 2 week chest infection, overtime and bad weather is my excuse, although motivation has been lacking.

Finally got a chance to go out today, planned to do 15 miles whiston to ormskirk, had to detour to lydiate ( parents house instead of sisters), so added another 3 miles to the journey.

So 18 miles all together. Was very slow at 11mph but still enjoyed it and missed the rain. Give I had only done 8 miles before it was a big increase.

Going to spend tomorrow sorting the seat out, I have spoon to fit but feel I am sitting on the nose of the saddle, so not using my sit bones.

It made the ride very uncomfortable so never found a rhythm, and thinking was part of the reason for the lack of speed as needed to take the pressure off as never felt muscular or cardio tired. Does that make sense?

It makes sense to me, still happens to me after I put in more hours than normal but it is getting better. Good padded shorts, getting your saddle position dialed in and more saddle time will help. It doesn't bother me as much now as it did when I first started out.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

I forgot to ask

How much water should I drink for a 18 mile journey?

Once I got going, I noticed my tyres were a little flat, bulging at the bottom. Is there a pressure checker I can buy and what pressure should a tricross with standard tyres be at?

Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I forgot to ask

Once I got going, I noticed my tyres were a little flat, bulging at the bottom. Is there a pressure checker I can buy and what pressure should a tricross with standard tyres be at?

Thanks

Just take a bottle and drink when you are thirsty. I relatively fit person shouldn't really need much water for 18 miles.

As to tyre pressure. Get a track pump with a pressure gauge. They are not hugely expensive. My halfords one has lasted a long time.

On the sidewall of the tyres will be indicated minimum and maximum pressure in PSI & BAR. You say you have standard road tyres so I would expect you would need about 100 psi for your bike. But inflate to what is comfortable for you somewhere between the min and max.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I forgot to ask

Thanks

I don't think there is a 'should' re how much water to drink. Just take a bottle and use it if you feel the need. I assume you keep yourself fairly well hydrated all the time. Over that distance I'd only want a few sips although more on a blistering hot day. Everyone's different though.

Re pressure checker. You'll need a floor pump anyway to keep on top of tyre pressures. They have inbuilt gauges. Get something like a Joe Blow from Halfords for £25.

Pressures should be on the tyre sidewall or visit the tyre manufacturers website.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just take a bottle and drink when you are thirsty. I relatively fit person shouldn't really need much water for 18 miles.

As to tyre pressure. Get a track pump with a pressure gauge. They are not hugely expensive. My halfords one has lasted a long time.

On the sidewall of the tyres will be indicated minimum and maximum pressure in PSI & BAR. You say you have standard road tyres so I would expect you would need about 100 psi for your bike. But inflate to what is comfortable for you somewhere between the min and max.

Spooky! More or less the same reply. I must've been typing while you were posting.

Anyway well done - you won as you posted first. :laugh:

Raging Squirrel

Whiston to Ormskirk......on the right roads that could be an ace route. Sounds like youre doing good. I'm still to get out on my bike this year :sad:

Well I did my first ride this evening!

After very little exercise apart from golf for the past 5 or 6 years, at 33 i decieded enough was enough and wanted to improve my fitness and energy levels.

So will some help from here and a local bike shop i have bought a Tricross with the C2W scheme, but i wont get the voucher until Jan.

So had some spare time today and dug out ( literally) my old Raleigh Quicksand MTB, which has not been used for maybe 7 years, so you can imagine what state it was in.

Well got into some kind of working order, Just and went out for my first ride tonight. Gears are pretty messed up i quickly found :sad:

http://app.strava.com/activities/30437451

Just on 4 miles was more than enough in near freezing conditions. But was out cycling for just shy of 30 mins and a average of 8.4mph

Aerobically i did not feel to bad, but have some serious weak cyling muscles and any incline was a killer and have admit i had to take a couple of breathers.

TBH felt a bit of failure, but shows how lazy i have become. But its a start and have created a couple of segments in Strava to compare improvements hopefully.

Hopefully built up enough fitness over the comming month to do the tricross justice.

Yeah that is pretty bad if we're honest. The best way to improve is to do more cycling. You will get better over time.

Top Bottom