Am I right or am I wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am really mad reading this. The audacity of it all. Custom manufacturing is only part of the cost for which I understand forking out money in advance. Labour cost, transport and profit etc???? The margins for this sort of business is circa 20%. Never ever came across such terms. There is no motivation or leverage to even turn up on the day, let alone satisfactory completion.

I am not sure about walking away. I looking towards calling an airstrike. I understand that the Americans are free now.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
The only way you'll know if this is 'normal' is to enquire with other companies.
If they're pretty much the same, you're stuck.
If they're far less demanding, you takes your choice, price, deposit, how much you pay up front, reputation etc etc.

stephec

Legendary Member
You're right, 50/50 should be the most.

We're about to have front and back doors fitted by a local company with a good reputation that we've used before, all the want is a 10% deposit before fitting.

Drago

Legendary Member
Id tell 'em perhaps half up front, the rest when the job is done and I'm happy. Never had a tradesman/woman decline those terms, and most want very little up front, including the local firm that did pur windows.

You were right to bin them off.

I am not sure about walking away. I looking towards calling an airstrike. I understand that the Americans are free now.

I agree firmly with the sentiment, but knowing the Americans they'd drop their munitions on the nearest British squaddie. That said, they might bomb Accy's flat in the mistaken belief that his wardrobe is dazzle camouflage.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@I like Skol, do not in any circumstance mention bi-fold doors to my missus. She want's some. Bit pointless as we have a conservatory on the other side. She'd rip the lot out, and the back wall to fit some.

95% up front is a cheek.

Give Alpha Windows in Denton a call. They did ours including a large bay window, and a 7ft arch. They have been back recently to replace a cracked pane, includingtaking the window away to re-use the decorative batton to match the others.

Not sure if they do bi-fold, but we had no messing. Payment once done.

I had the windows in the house done some years ago but they only wanted 10% before they started - and nothing before the survey

I would agree that they are worth avoiding

I would not agree with using the Americans for an airstrike - my Dad was in the RAF ground crew during the war, in Lincolnshire for a while - any aircraft that had to ditch bombs on their way home was told to do so over the North Sea
Apparently the Americans often missed it

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps ask Vlad to break into their offices and smear Novichok on tue phones?

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am definitely with the majority on this..we booked a local company to do our conservatory NO DEPOSIT.
The base was down.
When the conservatory was delivered it was 3' short :wacko:
They asked if I would accept it for a discount.
I asked "why would I accept a conservatory 3' shorter than the base and 3' shorter than what we needed..
They turned up, collected it and refused to come back.
Gawd knows what would have happened if I had paid a deposit.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am definitely with the majority on this..we booked a local company to do our conservatory NO DEPOSIT.
The base was down.
When the conservatory was delivered it was 3' short :wacko:
They asked if I would accept it for a discount.
I asked "why would I accept a conservatory 3' shorter than the base and 3' shorter than what we needed..
They turned up, collected it and refused to come back.
Gawd knows what would have happened if I had paid a deposit.
Funnily enough had a similar experience many years ago with some french doors. Sales guy turned up and measured the hole. We discussed options like top opening windows etc and eventually agreed on 2 x 750mm wide doors with narrow side strip windows to fill the remaining space. When they arrived to fit I instantly spotted something looked odd and the tape measure soon confirmed they had made the doors much narrower than agreed at approx 2 x 500mm. I was quite laid back about it and commented thank goodness they hadn't started removing the previous frames so we could get the problem corrected and try again at a later date. They refused point blank and said it was these doors or nothing and they would not rectify THEIR mistake.
It all went back on the van and away they went without a penny of my money! I wonder if it was the same company?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If the install is not to a suitable standard they have little incentive to ever come back and sort it.
Or "Hey windows man, this isn't installed properly"
"Yes it is"
"No, look that's not straight, that's got a scratch on it"
"They all look like that"
"Well, I'm not paying you then"
"Erm, you already have"

Top Bottom