Am I right to buy a hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
To be fair, I remember the sales droid spouting that the geometry was from a road bike frame, but it was a few years ago now. I think the later ones may be Allez, they did get a lot more swoopier.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Sounds like it might be worth having a look at a few touring bikes?

Reliability and comfort is right up there with your average hybrid, but you've got drop bars for comfort.

I've got a Raleigh Royal for commuting/light touring, and while it's not particularly exciting, it serves me very well indeed for this. I wouldn't buy one new at full price though.

OP
OP
P

phil73

What sort of distance are you looking at doing when you go away? Agreed, don't get suspension by the way. It feels like you're coming in to riding fresh, rather than adding to existing bikes, in which case you might find the best start is to get a hybrid and use it to get fitter and have some fun, then once you've got some miles under your belt and have worked out how involved you want to be start looking for something to tour and either sell the first bike to part fund it, or end up with two. Trying to suit all cases with no real idea what you enjoy is going to be a tough ask to do straight away.
Is your "for fitness" on road or off road?
Fitness will be country lanes and the odd trail. the dilemma is I live in Thetford Forest and have trails on my doorstep, now thats so tempting even though I'm gonna be on the road most of the time. Saying that I met a guy last week cycling through the forest on an old Dawes road bike, he didnt give one but was slipping all over the place :-)

OP
OP
P

phil73

What sort of distance are you looking at doing when you go away? Agreed, don't get suspension by the way. It feels like you're coming in to riding fresh, rather than adding to existing bikes, in which case you might find the best start is to get a hybrid and use it to get fitter and have some fun, then once you've got some miles under your belt and have worked out how involved you want to be start looking for something to tour and either sell the first bike to part fund it, or end up with two. Trying to suit all cases with no real idea what you enjoy is going to be a tough ask to do straight away.
Yes I am fresh but have cycled a lot in the past. What you've said makes a lot of sense and if I where to be honest I'm going to be using this bike more on roads than the trails in Thetford forest. I'm also going to go away for weekends so it needs to carry a fair amount of camping gear, got a few trips in the planning on our beautiful North Norfolk coastline.

OP
OP
P

phil73

Approx 60 miles to the coast, camping 2 days then cycling back.

OP
OP
P

phil73

Is your "for fitness" on road or off road?
On road, we've got some great country lanes here in Norfolk

OP
OP
P

phil73

If I was looking for a "do it all" fitness/commuter/tourer I'd find it very very difficult to look past the Planet X London Road.....
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRDTIAFB/planet-x-london-road-argento-tiagra-flat-bar-bike
I don't think there's much out there at the moment that comes close for the price - They also do a drop handle version which would be more my choice, but that's personal preference,

However, as you're new to cycling I'd hesitate to recommend buying online if you're not in a position to get to Sheffield to try one (although may be worth the trip).
If there is an Edinburgh Bike Co-op near you they have several models in the Revolution lineup that may be ideal, both flat bar and drop handle.
Wow, nice bike and although a newbie the spec reads pretty well too! OK, this is a serious contender, thank you so much for sharing.

Tin Pot

Guru
On road, we've got some great country lanes here in Norfolk
To my mind, then I would go for a road bike. An occasional 60 mile ride with panniers to the camp site won't snap it in half, and the rest of the time you get to enjoy the wonders of a road bike! :smile:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Yes I am fresh but have cycled a lot in the past. What you've said makes a lot of sense and if I where to be honest I'm going to be using this bike more on roads than the trails in Thetford forest. I'm also going to go away for weekends so it needs to carry a fair amount of camping gear, got a few trips in the planning on our beautiful North Norfolk coastline.
A lot of people have fun on trails without suspension, it's still really intended for heavier use and while it helps with very rough trails you don't need it for a flat but bumpy route. The reason I'd avoid it is that all the time you don't need it (any road, most trails) it's weight you don't want to be bothering with and you want to make sure you spent enough to have a lock out because you don't want the front end bouncing away taking energy to do nothing useful. If you're riding trials that won't see your wheels leaving the ground, don't bother with front suss.

zizou

Veteran
I'd look towards a touring bike if wanting to carry alot of camping gear, it will be the best tool for the job. Although if its only going to be an occassional camping trip then I wouldnt discount a road bike either, although one with clearance for wider tyres and rack mounts.

Alot of riders coming back to cycling as adults start out on hybrids thinking they are going to be tougher or easier to live with than a road bike with drop bars, but its a misconception - road bikes are plenty tough and capable. If wanting to do off road dirt trails then a cx bike would be a good option too.

Cyclist33

To be fair, I remember the sales droid spouting that the geometry was from a road bike frame, but it was a few years ago now. I think the later ones may be Allez, they did get a lot more swoopier.

Although the current sirrus looks like neither as they finally got around to giving it its own frame a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom