Am I too far out into the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
HJ said:
No, the real question is, does the Audi have a driving licence? Because if they drove like that on their test, then they wouldn't have passed. It does no harm to remind drivers that the way drive for their test is the way they are supposed to drive for the rest of their lives...
But surely if they need reminding, then it's a sign they shouldn't be let loose on the road in the first place?

For what it's worth, I take a similar position on the road when cycling unless it's really congested.

Oh yes, and don't get complacent about the sunshine, people; last I checked, BV were still ahead of CC in the MyCyclingLog stats, and I intend to do my bit to keep it that way! :laugh:

Regards,

--- Victor.

NigC

GrasB said:
A nice confident line with a clueless car driver. The problem is a lot of people don't have a clue the difficulties that cyclists face so don't understand why you're doing things in a certain way. Hell most motorists don't even know what difficulties & problems THEY are facing half the time, which is kinda worrying really.

Have to agree with this: Until I started cycling regularly (and reading comments here), I was much less aware (as a driver and cyclist) of how best a cyclist "defends" themself on the roads. That's not to say I didn't make allowances for them and give them space, but I do now have a better understanding of why some do what they do.

I should think a very high percentage of drivers are the same - most are decent enough and give cyclists the space they need regardless of whether they understand completely what they're doing..... but others take a different view and end up on videos like this one.

No problems with your positioning.

However, (I get plenty of critcism so I feel the need to give some back :o), you don't seem to be doing any rear observation. If I were you I would be making rear observations as I leave the roundabout, as I approach the parked cars and at general intervals. Believe it or not a rear observation might have dissuaded the driver from his idiotic overtake. As well as that you might have seen him coming and could have used a palm facing back gesture to dissuade him.

Of course the driver was an idiot and you are not at fault for his poor overtake, but you can do things to try and reduce the likelyhood and to improve your overall safety.;)

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

magnatom said:
No problems with your positioning.

However, (I get plenty of critcism so I feel the need to give some back :wacko:), you don't seem to be doing any rear observation. If I were you I would be making rear observations as I leave the roundabout, as I approach the parked cars and at general intervals. Believe it or not a rear observation might have dissuaded the driver from his idiotic overtake. As well as that you might have seen him coming and could have used a palm facing back gesture to dissuade him.

Of course the driver was an idiot and you are not at fault for his poor overtake, but you can do things to try and reduce the likelyhood and to improve your overall safety.:wacko:

Thank you Magatom for the suggestion, I will try and make more rear observations.

Crankarm

Guru
Like wot Magnatom said :wacko:. Look behind you more often. Potentially unwanted passes - PUPs - goose neck back at the drivers several times until they have passed by, this keeps 99.99% of them at a safe distance. Even ones who start wide will pull in too close to you if you don't keep goose necking them every few seconds until they've passed by, because they think if you can't see them it's ok. The cowardly feckers.

Top Bottom