Am I too old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
If you're the sort of guy who likes winning then yes you're too old! However, TTing is against the clock more than other riders so give it a try. Chances are if you'd started at the age of 16 you still wouldn't have won a single race by now. The guys that win are freaks of nature! Race for fun and to beat your previous best time - enjoy!

Rip Van

Veteran
tundragumski said:
If you're the sort of guy who likes winning then yes you're too old! However, TTing is against the clock more than other riders so give it a try. Chances are if you'd started at the age of 16 you still wouldn't have won a single race by now. The guys that win are freaks of nature! Race for fun and to beat your previous best time - enjoy!

Eh?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nope, you can still win at 40+.

A 40 plus (plus quite a bit I think) rider has won our club trophy for our evening 10 series several times in the last few years -not the vets competition either, the overall.

There are also standard times for vets- see here

You could win a vets competition on standard times.

I've managed to come fifth in a 25 and I haven't gone under the hour yet (it wasn't an open but a TT organized by a consortium of local clubs, maybe all the fast guys were at another event!)

levad said:
Am I too old (at 43) to start time trialing?

I only use my bike for commuting at the moment. I did a couple of long distance rides (80 and 90 miles) last year and did the C2C route several years ago.

I have a Giant Cypress hybrid and a Surly Crosscheck road bike. I cannot afford a new machine :smile:

Any advice welcome!

Bloody well go for it! You'll have the experience of a lifetime if that's what you want to do. stevevw of this parish (Age 4harrumph and rising) is enjoying his rides - go for it levad!

Blue

Legendary Member
I will be 56 in a few weeks time and I did my first TT 2 weeks ago.

In that first event I was 25th in a field of 31. Last week I did my 2nd event and was 22nd in a field of 41, beating many of the people who had beaten me the week before!

If you give it your all expect to feel that you are going to hurl at the end. However, also be prepared to have a feeling of excitement that you haven't had since your teens!!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If it's anything like rowing, then just enjoy and do it for fun!!

There are pensioners still out rowing on the Clyde you know, so at 41, on a bike, you will be perfectly fine!!

Actually this is all encouraging seeing as I am only 27 (and not 106 as I jokingly put in my profile), so, once I get the right bike, get fitter and find out where events are happening, then, I'll be along to ride like shoot off a warm shovel!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes you are too old, I'd be surprised if you still had your own teeth and original hips!! :laugh::laugh:

e-rider

crappy member
Mad Doug Biker said:
Yes you are too old, I'd be surprised if you still had your own teeth and original hips!! :tongue::laugh:

yes but with his prosthetics he won't have the usual aching muscles to worry about :smile: joking!

Rip Van

Veteran
I'm too old and can't read my computer to see how much slower I'm going 'til I stop to put my glasses on...but...WTF!:laugh:

Blue

Legendary Member
Further to my post above, I did the club 10 tonight and finished 17th of 34 in a time of 27:41. I use my standard roadbike as I don't have any special equipment.

So come on LEVAD, confirm that you will dip your toe in the water, so to speak - it's good fun when you get in! :rolleyes:

gavintc

Guru
levad said:

I only use my bike for commuting at the moment. I did a couple of long distance rides (80 and 90 miles) last year and did the C2C route several years ago.

I have a Giant Cypress hybrid and a Surly Crosscheck road bike. I cannot afford a new machine :rolleyes:

Any advice welcome!

If you are asking the question - then you are already old at heart.

frank9755

Cyclist
levad said:

No

I'm 42 - 43 in two weeks - and did my first one six weeks ago. I wasn't the slowest, have improved my times each subsequent TT, have enjoyed them and am doing my fourth one on Sunday.

Good luck!

Top Bottom