Am I wrong to discriminate against pigeons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Since my cat died last year I thought it would now be acceptable to have some bird feeders in my garden.

I like the little tweety birds, but not the big fat pigeons.

I bought some squirrel proof feeders, but still had to hang them away from any branches to stop the big fat pigeons sticking their heads through the cage and eating my fat balls.

If I don't take precautions, the pigeons eat the fat balls in minutes leaving none for anyone else.

An I wrong to discriminate against the big fat pigeons?

I have an old cake tin set up with water as a bird bath, I don't begrudge the pigeons this, just my fat balls.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I read once that the birds you get in your garden are the ones you deserve.

yello

An I wrong to discriminate against the big fat pigeons?

Nope. Flying rats.

Am I wrong to discriminate against rats ;)

I'm blessed to live in a pigeon free area (wood pigeons aside) but loathe pigeons anyway. A hangover from being a city dweller.

My wife dislikes magpies. She thinks they are bullies. But speaking of little tweety birds, have you ever watched a robin? My word, for such a wee thing they are remarkably aggressive!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't understand how they are multiplying - all the ones I ever see build their flimsy nests in really stupid places and end up with the eggs on the ground.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
We have big fat wood pigeons in our garden, you can get "little bird" feeders that the big birds cannot use, Mum who rivals a nature reserve with her bird feeders (some are taller than me!) buys suet pellets rather than fat balls and puts them in the feeders only little birds can use.

We have more issue with seagulls... bloody massive things they are when you see them up close! I tried to get a picture of them all scrabbling on the garage roof the other day for the left over scones I threw up there for the birds but they all flew away when they saw me

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I read once that the birds you get in your garden are the ones you deserve.
You get tits 3BM?

tyred

Legendary Member
I generally like all wildlife but have a hatred of pigeons.

There are a lot of open sheds in the farmyard at home and they are invaded by farking pigeons, it seems nearly impossible to get rid of them and they shoot on everything.:ninja:

Davidc

Guru
This pigeonist thread has missed the point.

The reason we have too many pigeons is simple. Pigeon pie is out of fashion. All it needs is for people to start eating them again and we can soon have pigeons on the endangered species list.

Where they belong.

djb1971

Legendary Member
The only good thing about the pigeons is that they clear up all of the seed on the floor, keeping the garden tidy. They can't get onto my feeders so that helps the smaller birds until the woodpeckers and squirrels arrive.

I built our works bird feeder. Essentially it's a long metal pole with 2x tent peg "branches" at the top. 2 bird feeders hang from these.

The result: the "branches" are too thin for the pigeon to settle on so it has to wait on the ground underneath and pick up the scraps the other birds drop!

Top Bottom