Am I....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am a biggish chap but I was still blown backwards off my bike by strong winds in a gorge in Spain. My bike was then blown into the air and nearly disappeared down the side of said gorge. Fortunately, I managed to catch hold of it and wrestle it down to the road. At that point, I decided that riding in strong winds wasn't a clever idea, turned round and returned to the hotel!

Getting blown under the wheels of a passing truck, or falling off and breaking a hip isn't going to do much for your health or fitness! I'd suggest giving cycling a miss in very strong winds ...

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Just got home after being let out early.

OK it is windy, but I rode in similar last year. Mind you it expected to pick up a bit over the next few hours, which is why we were told to get out in the first place.

Wish we did, getting a lift home and ill pick the bike up tomorrow :ohmy:

Hopefully mondays commute will be alot less windy :laugh:

HovR

Über Member
Got down into 40-20 gearing today whilst coming home.. And I normally only use that when pulling away from traffic lights. Glad I'm not in Scotland at the moment! :ohmy:

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
All winds have died down today which is great, i dont commute by bike on a friday sadly though :cycle:

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Hurricane Bawbag wasn't that bad...... my 7mile commute home just north of Glasgow was straight into it! The rain was as big a problem. Must admit tho i was out the saddle to keep moving at one point in 34/23 gear on the flat!!! Hahaha!

Haha i loved the name it ended up getting, i was out in it for a bit and it didnt seem all that bad but thankfully i wasnt on the bike at the time :blink:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I chickened out of doing my usual post-work ride to Bromley yesterday because I didn't think it would be safe, and that's with the relatively tame conditions we had down here in the Soft South, so just the short ride from the office to Victoria for me.

However, a tree on the line at Rainham meant the train terminated at Gillingham and everyone was turfed off to get the replacement bus service. But there was no sign of any buses, only the six trainloads of disgruntled commuters waiting for them, so riding the last 30 miles home was my only realistic option. Fortunately, it had stopped raining by then. Even more fortunately, the wind was coming from the west and I was heading east... wheeeeeee! ^_^

I didn't realise quite how much of a tailwind I had until the point where I missed a turn and went off route, which meant I had to double back for about a mile of riding into the wind. Oh boy!

d.

Top Bottom