Am very tempted by Boardman on eBay, but am a bit suspicious...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Hi

I'm really tempted to buy this Boardman Comp on eBay. But I dont totally trust the auction for some reason.

My suspicions are thus:

1) Local collection only, fine. But when I asked him whether he'd accept Cash on Collection, he basically said no, Paypal only.
I know Paypal has a resolution dispute service, but I've heard lots of horror stories about it.

2) I asked for further clarification on the size, he said that "
I am 5' 9" but would be suitable a couple of inches either way." - which seems a bit big for a 50cm bike?

3) His feedback rating is low.

Am I being unduly suspicious? If this does turn out to be a dud, then what good is Paypals resolution service?

Thanks

s

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
50cm frame is what I would say is size small.

Harbornite

Think you are being unduly suspicious - the seller has asked for payment through Paypal & not cash, I would have been concerned if it was the other way round.

Check the Boardman Road bike sizing on their web site, I'm sure 50 cm on a road bike is small.

Ask the seller for more details of the bike,photos, receipts, hand book, servicing etc.

Once you have satisfied yourself then get bidding ;), otherwise walk away as plenty of Boardmans come up on ebay

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

The description just doesnt seem very credible to me. All the item specifics are not filled in. The description and pic show its a 50cm frame, yet the guy describes himself as a 5' 9". Doesnt seem right.

I'm actually on the lookout for a small CB, the ones on eBay are always Mediums or Large. Rarely small so I'm eager on this one. Am just scared of pulling the trigger.

If I bought this and made the journey to Leeds, only to find that its not as described (its collection only), what then?

I'd say the guy just doesn't know much about bikes. Not particularly suspicious, especially as he takes paypal. If you pay prior, and when you get there it's not as described, then tell him youre not interested and ask for refund. If that doesn't come, raise a dispute via paypal.

But.....i'm sure it will all be fine.

Tollers

EDIT: p.s I wouldnt mind that as a winter hack. It's all yours though. I'm not going to bid.

ASC1951

Guru
B-B-BikeyStrike! said:
If I bought this and made the journey to Leeds, only to find that its not as described (its collection only), what then?
Personally I would walk away from it for that reason: if you are SE of London, that must be £75 in fuel or train fare, even if you find it is ok; and if isn't as described, but is on the rough side of ok, you will be tempted to accept it because you have already spent the £75.

The other concern would be that this bike is being sold by someone who has clearly never ridden it. There are some reasonable explanations for that - bought for a girlfriend, being sold for someone who isn't online etc - but I have bought lots of secondhand bikes and the only time I have been scalped was in these circumstances.

I see that he has set a reserve of £350. IMO even that is a tad on the high side.

Can you take a laptop up't north and use paypal there? Internet cafe or mobile dongle.

People do tend to bid on auctions on ebay and not follow through he might just be trying to protect himself, tell him your are nervous but will be paying for it if its all as described, so nothing to worry about, can you paypal him when you've seen it.
Ask what condition its in, he only says 'hardly used' could mean 2nd time I used it, I crashed and get that on the web page, Paypal lets you dispute something if its not as described doesn't it? Or shouldn't you rely on that?

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

ASC1951 said:
Personally I would walk away from it for that reason: if you are SE of London, that must be £75 in fuel or train fare, even if you find it is ok; and if isn't as described, but is on the rough side of ok, you will be tempted to accept it because you have already spent the £75.

The other concern would be that this bike is being sold by someone who has clearly never ridden it. There are some reasonable explanations for that - bought for a girlfriend, being sold for someone who isn't online etc - but I have bought lots of secondhand bikes and the only time I have been scalped was in these circumstances.

I see that he has set a reserve of £350. IMO even that is a tad on the high side.

I think I'm siding with what you're saying. Although i did work out a way for getting to Leeds and back for £30 (£10 fare on the coach there, £20 on a late booked train on return).

But is £350 on the high side for a £650 bike? If it was is good condition?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I would guess he's not entirely familiar with how to measure bikes and their components, and the 50cm may refer to centre of the BB to centre of the top tube (what was in my day a perfectly normal way of measuring frames for MTBs).
If you're interested, drop him a line asking him to clarify the size - stipulate precisely where you'd like the measurements to be taken to/from.

dodgy

That's a cycle to work scheme bike that, I bet. Looks ok to me, probably bought by someone with little knowledge and was seduced by how little it was going to cost them with the C2W.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Have you sent the seller questions?
A good 'Ebayer' should respond within 24 hours at the MOST.
Boardman bikes are sold small, medium large to make it 'easier' for non cyclists to get a grip of sizing.
The price has been set at the point where it should be sold for what is on offer - classic new Ebayer mistake - (not trusting the auction to roll under its own steam)
If the item is miles away from your 'base' I would not enter into auction anyway.. there wil ALWAYS be another listed soon enough if you are diligent about keeping your search live and up to date.
Again, a bike closer to home means you could pay an inspection if you wish - a genuine Ebayer should have no objection for an item that has a high price tag.

I sell as a private seller a fair amount - but always insist on Paypal despite the godamn charges that Ebay hoike on.
My only glitch has been a low cost item gone missing in transit.
Oh, and those godamn fees...............

Top Bottom