Amazing how quickly corrosion kicks in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
A fortnight ago, I had a wee accident that resulted in me spending a couple of nights in hospital. My family kindly stuck the bike in the garage. It wouldn’t have been wet or particularly dirty when it was put away (it was a cold, dry day) although the roads may have been salty.

I had glanced at the bike in the intervening fortnight, to see if there was any serious damage, but hadn’t taken it out to check it in detail.

Normally I clean/lube the chain at least weekly, more often if it’s wet. Just the usual wipe/lube/wipe thing.

Today, I was quite surprised just how stiff the chain had become in the fortnight since it was last used. Quite a few stiff links. Some more lube, and some flexing, seems to have fixed it.

Is that normal? I can’t remember my chain getting as stiff before after a fortnight?

Front brake also looks like the cable maybe needs some lube - it’s not returning freely - other than that the only real damage appears to be a broken light and a few scrapes. (and my hip & ribs - but that’s another story!)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I mickled the chain on Tuesday, had rust on it today when I gave the bike a clean. Baby wipes soon brought it back to life

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I managed to squeeze a quick Christmas morning ride in one year. I did a 7 km climb up one of the local hills and then turned at the top and went home. The roads had been gritted and there had been a snowfall the night before so there was a lot of salty slush about. I had to rush round to my Christmas dinner date so I didn't have time to clean the bike. I went to do it the next day and the chain was already solid with rust!

So, yes - corrosion can set in very quickly, but it doesn't take a fortnight - even just 24 hours can be enough!

lpretro1

The mix of wet, mud and salt this time of year is hard on bikes - many times had a chain go rusty overnight

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
funny you should mention that - the rear disc was also the other thing that showed some surface rust. And obviously you cam’t lube that to keep the rust off!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Even in dry road conditions you will be riding along in a cloud of salt dust, which will stick to your bike. If you value the bike the only solution is a hot soapy wash after every ride, followed by dragging the chain through a towel or microfibre cloth to dry it.

Top Bottom