Amazon Firestick - Freeview and ‘live’ TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
TV reception via aerial in our rented house is terrible but we have very good fibre broadband (Vodafone 65mbps) so I thought I was being clever in dumping the aerial and buying a Firestick, streaming everything. However, I’ve discovered that whilst it works well for Netflix and ‘catch up’ on all channels, I can’t stream Freeview live tv (we miss Channel 4 news the most).

Anyone know away of making it work? Any app I can download to the Firestick.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Have you tried the 'TV player' app?

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Have you tried the 'TV player' app?

Thanks!

Only just discovered TVPlayer and it seems to be what we are after. I’m always terrified I’ve signed up for some subscription that I can’t escape but if I understand correctly it’s a free app with add on pay subscription service for additional channels?

So, I’ve signed up for the free service and it looks good. See how it goes, but thanks again.

PeteXXX

Thanks!

Only just discovered TVPlayer and it seems to be what we are after. I’m always terrified I’ve signed up for some subscription that I can’t escape but if I understand correctly it’s a free app with add on pay subscription service for additional channels?

So, I’ve signed up for the free service and it looks good. See how it goes, but thanks again.
Glad it works for you 👍🏼

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Found a downside to TV Player app - ever6 now and again a banner ad appears at the top of the screen offering an upgrade to Premium service. Only lasts 10 secs or so, but is very annoying. Might have to get a better aerial.

PeteXXX

How much does the premium service cost, do you know?
I've found that some apps only cost a couple of quid.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just a thought; have you checked that you have the correct type of aerial, and that it's facing the right way, and that your coaxial cable is in good condition? My reception was terrible, but then I found out that my aerial was facing the wrong way (you can get a free mobile app that tells you which way to point it). Also my cable had been nailed to the wall and the nails were going through the cable. I installed it all corerctly and replaced the cable for about £15 - now I have 100% reception on all channels.

Smudge

Veteran
Just a thought; have you checked that you have the correct type of aerial, and that it's facing the right way, and that your coaxial cable is in good condition? My reception was terrible, but then I found out that my aerial was facing the wrong way (you can get a free mobile app that tells you which way to point it). Also my cable had been nailed to the wall and the nails were going through the cable. I installed it all corerctly and replaced the cable for about £15 - now I have 100% reception on all channels.

That is what i would be checking as well. You can also get booster boxes to boost the signal from your aerial.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Rented property Landlord/Lady may not wish to go to such expense, if it's not in the rental contract
True, but I'd do it myself. Then ask landord for monies. They might pay, or go halves, or not pay. Either way, I'd then have TV and would not have to rely on internet apps and stuff.

Top Bottom