America coast to coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

friedel

Hi Cathryn! We are in a hotel with wifi in Laos, thus the return to the boards :biggrin: Actually we are in Luang Prabang, a world heritage site. Pretty touristy and quite the shock after pedalling the mountains for a few days. Back into Thailand soon and then south to Oz. Where's your next adventure?

need2

Bigtallfatbloke said:
..Has anybody here ever done this?

It is a total pipe dream at the moment, and I believe it is about three times th edistance of the ride through France I have just returned from, but something is telling me it could be fun..next year or the year after maybe when i have got fitter and bought a gun and some health insurance;):biggrin:

What routes are best? Avoiding bandit country and deserts would be best! Any experiences over there would be cool to read about...hmm...I wonder.

If you look up noahs arc appeal,, the charity for Wales childrens hospital
It is being done next year from East to West.My ex boss and some others are doing it,Im gutted as I would have loved to have done it as well with them,but im unable to do it hopefully they will do it again..
Details of event are

4000 miles , 4time zones , in 2wks.
start sunday 22 march san fransisco california. finish 4 th april in jacksonville florida

I will add all the other dates and stops this afternoon no time to do it now...

need2

coast to coast dates..
sunday 22 march san fransisco
monday 23 mar santa barbara
tuesday 24 los angeles
wednesday 25 joshua tree
thursday 26 las vegas
friday 27 grand canyon
saturday 28 monument valley
sunday 29 mesa verde
monday 30 alburquerque
tuesday 31 austin texas
wednesday1 april houston
thursday2 new orleans
friday 3 mobile Al
saturday 4 april jacksonville ,Florida

www.coast2coast-usa.org

If anyone wants anymore info,pm me and I will try 2 find out for you what you want to know

Cathryn

Legendary Member
friedel said:
Hi Cathryn! We are in a hotel with wifi in Laos, thus the return to the boards :tongue: Actually we are in Luang Prabang, a world heritage site. Pretty touristy and quite the shock after pedalling the mountains for a few days. Back into Thailand soon and then south to Oz. Where's your next adventure?

We have no more adventures planned, Friedel :wacko: We shall have stick with yours!!! Misery! (for us)

need2

Dayvo said:
Why can't you go? And I hope you've got a GOOD excuse! :tongue:

Lung infection only 2/3rds of my lungs working properly at the moment..I have sarcoid,,,last april doctors thought I had TB and stopped me going to Australia like was planned for my mates wedding..:wacko:;)!

Hope to go back to oz next year hopefully after they have done the coast to coast next year they will do it again,,,my name is already down for it

need2 said:
Lung infection only 2/3rds of my lungs working properly at the moment..I have sarcoid,,,last april doctors thought I had TB and stopped me going to Australia like was planned for my mates wedding..:angry::angry:

Hope to go back to oz next year hopefully after they have done the coast to coast next year they will do it again,,,my name is already down for it

Good excuse! :sad: Sorry to hear of your lung infection. Hopefully you'll soon be back to full fitness and chasing the miles again. Good luck!

need2

Dayvo said:
Good excuse! :sad: Sorry to hear of your lung infection. Hopefully you'll soon be back to full fitness and chasing the miles again. Good luck!

thanks ,,

It`s hard going on the bike at the moment but I will keep plugging away avoiding steep hills,,which in Wales is hard :angry::biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

4000 miles , 4time zones , in 2wks.

Bloody hell! That's going some!

It certainly is!

I cant tell for sure from the site but it looks like this is a supported ride and perhaps ridden in teams rather than just one individual riding all th etime. I may well be wrong.

In any event it's a cool thing to do and a worthy cause.

I rode jus tunder 1000m across France in 9 days with a fully loaded bike tent etc...to do 4000 in 14 days has to mean lightweight road bikes, no loads and a support set up of some kind...if not then these guys are nothing short of supermen! Also the route takes them along the southern tier which has to be HOT I would imagine.

Realistically I would be looking at 2-3 months cycle camping coast to coast across the trans Am route east to west unsupported.

need2

Bigtallfatbloke said:
It certainly is!

I cant tell for sure from the site but it looks like this is a supported ride and perhaps ridden in teams rather than just one individual riding all th etime. I may well be wrong.

In any event it's a cool thing to do and a worthy cause.

I rode jus tunder 1000m across France in 9 days with a fully loaded bike tent etc...to do 4000 in 14 days has to mean lightweight road bikes, no loads and a support set up of some kind...if not then these guys are nothing short of supermen! Also the route takes them along the southern tier which has to be HOT I would imagine.

Realistically I would be looking at 2-3 months cycle camping coast to coast across the trans Am route east to west unsupported.

I know of another 5 that are going with my old boss,,it was his son in laws idea,,bet he loves him now:biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

There's a few of us who want to do this...we should do it as a group! Cyclechat Conquers America!

Thinking this over I think it's a cool suggestion
and would be a lot of fun if planned out properly. I suppose one concern would be any charachter clashes, in my experience tourers like to do things their own way (I know I do) and...well company is all well and good, but it has to be as stress free as possible off the bikes.

I hav edecided that if I go, I am going along a well trodden path, with the winds and taking my time. I like th elook of the trans am route and th eready made maps etc on the adventure cycling site.

Top Bottom