America coast to coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

..Has anybody here ever done this?

It is a total pipe dream at the moment, and I believe it is about three times th edistance of the ride through France I have just returned from, but something is telling me it could be fun..next year or the year after maybe when i have got fitter and bought a gun and some health insurance;):becool:

What routes are best? Avoiding bandit country and deserts would be best! Any experiences over there would be cool to read about...hmm...I wonder.

You could start by googling Race Across America (RAM) to get an idea of routes. IGNORE the times.

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/subwebraam/route/2008/08CSFChart.pdf may tempt you.

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/subwebraam/route/2008/route2008.jpg

I'm in the day-dreaming early stages of planning a trip from Vancouver to Key West to mark my 50th year in two years time.
Plan to ride south along the Pacific coast road, then need to work out a route either just south of the Rocky mountains, or just north of the Arizona desert, then due east and down though to Miami and beyond. Not a lot of detail there, but that's the plan at the mo!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I just posted up in the forums on adventure cycling..lets see what the responses bring.
I am thinking 2009 if I can afford it...money will be the thing that has th emost potential to hinder me right now.

..mind you I am not going to talk myself into this one...well not just yet:biggrin:

friedel

You can come with us across Canada instead. Canada is far superior to America.

Just kidding :biggrin:

My main concern would be to find routes that are as traffic free as possible. In general, North American drivers don't have a lot of respect for bicycles on the road so you definitely want to stay off any busy routes.

friedel

Oh, and Google for a guy called Rick Gunn and his make-a-wish tour. He went round the world and all his entries and photos, including a few from the states, are worth a read. Some of the best cycle reading I've done and very under promoted I think.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thankyou Friedel I will!

I have just been looking at the AC route Trans America trail. I am sure that route must be th emost popular one to use. I suspect strongly that this route will throw everything America has to offer in terms of weather conditions and terrain as well.

Just tentativel considering the gear changes I would need to make, the first thing that occurs to me is that i would need a new (more suited to winter conditions) tent and sleeping bag I think. Also I am wondering about those ortlieb bags again.
Clearly I would need to become totally competent at all bike repairs that might be needed en route as there must be huge stretches where there arn't any people or bike shops etc. So That's a task for me over the winter.

I'll need to get my head around the campsite situation as well and try to plan th etrip at the best time of year so as to try to avoid weather extremes.

But above all I need to get the finances planned properly and start saving asap. I hav eno idea about a typical daily 'spend' on such a trip based on a solo tourer camping.

All of these thoughts will have been in the minds of all those who set out on this route, I am just at the very start of what could be the adventure of my life.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
..are you going to America?

Yeah! Planning to do it in the summer (June, July, August) of 2010 (I'm 50 in Jan 2010 and want to do a few different things that year to 'celebrate' it! :?:

My earlier post!

Dayvo said:
I'm in the day-dreaming early stages of planning a trip from Vancouver to Key West to mark my 50th year in two years time.
Plan to ride south along the Pacific coast road, then need to work out a route either just south of the Rocky mountains, or just north of the Arizona desert, then due east and down though to Miami and beyond. Not a lot of detail there, but that's the plan at the mo!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Kool!.. can you keep me updated on th edetail of your planning as it develops, I'd be REALLY interested to know things like routes, gear, that kind of stuff. If I do this I am going prepared (big time) ...and thta means time and money over the next year just planning the trip I think.
Right now my aim is simply to keep riding through the winter and keep fit. Then I may do Holland next spring early summer, meantime I can be getting on with some planning for USA....oh man, I can hear myself talking myself into this already:biggrin:

Top Bottom