England : Buckinghamshire Amersham - ToB - Oxford (36 miles) Sat 9th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Leave Amersham railway station just after 9am, intercept the Tour of Britain as they hit the B4027 near Islip, the roll down to Oxford for the Pie-cnic or just do your own thing. No-one left behind. Here's a route. And here's the Tour of Britain info. If I know that someone is coming from London on the train I'll wait for the 0902 arrival, which leaves London Marylebone at 0827 - I've never had a problem getting a bike on it. Use an Oyster card, or a contactless card - the fair is £4.10 off-peak.

I recced the route late this morning, and it took a shade over 2.5 hours to the intercept point, with a reasonably filthy headwind. I'm allowing just over 3 (estimated rider time is between 12:17 and 12:38) for luck. The intercept point is a 90-degree bend with wide verges, so some sort of view of the riders shooting round the corner is guaranteed. From there to Oxford city centre is about 20 minutes, although there's a nice little market in Headington on a Saturday at which I might stop.

Here's the profile. You'll notice that I'm allergic to hills.
upload_2017-8-19_18-40-23.png

This is a ride of three parts and a coda. The first part gets us out of the Chilterns by just about the flattest route possible that isn't a main road. There are two downhills, and I'll warn now (and again, at least twice), that the first has a nasty bit of failing road about half way down. The second draggy uphill, up to Chequers, has just been repaired top-dressed, but that should have settled down within a few weeks. The trees are just showing signs of beginning to turn, so there might well be some decent autumn colour. There will also be red kites. This part of the ride finishes with an unavoidable, very short, steep (15%) hill.

The second part of the ride is flat, and fast. First along the B4009 then turning onto the Phoenix Trail to Thame. There are about 3 miles of very good quality hard-packed sand/small gravel over a good-quality foundation. It's a better surface than most of the roads along here, and I had absolutely no issues with 25mm road tyres.

The third part of the ride is rural middle-England at its best - little traffic, mostly decent lanes through mixed agriculture with the occasional pretty village. It finishes with a climb (sorry) up to Stanton St John and a second to the Oxford Ring Road. I'll be grovelling in my lowest gear wishing I'd lost some weight.

Under the Ring Road roundabout it's a very straightforward bit of urban main road to the City Centre, but because Oxford City Council do a very good job of discouraging traffic it's quiet, apart from the buses.

Expected arrival time 1-ish. As ever, dependent on health and weather. I'm hoping for a typical early-September bit of warmth. To get out of Oxford, take a bus to London or a train almost anywhere or retrace your steps.

steverob

Guru
I know you say you're allergic to hills, but had you considered going over Longdown Hill rather than round via Chequers, Butlers Cross and Little Kimble? Would cut a few miles off, plus Longdown is a lot easier from that side.

Anyway, I'm tempted to join the ride at Great Missenden rather than go all the way to Amersham, so if you have an estimate of when you think you'll get there, I can then work out when I'd need to leave home.

steverob

Guru
The steep bit is maybe 100 metres in length tops, the whole climb probably only 300 metres long. Strava segment (if you're in to that sort of thing): https://www.strava.com/segments/3382045

Also I disagree that it isn't avoidable. By adding on an extra half a mile (go straight on at Butlers Cross crossroads, left at Terrick roundabout, down into Little Kimble on the A4010), you can skirt round it, although it does then mean that you have to ride on a more major road for just over a mile rather than the quieter back roads that SRW's route takes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
srw

srw

The steep bit is maybe 100 metres in length tops, the whole climb probably only 300 metres long. Strava segment (if you're in to that sort of thing): https://www.strava.com/segments/3382045

Also I disagree that it isn't avoidable. By adding on an extra half a mile (go straight on at Butlers Cross crossroads, left at Terrick roundabout, down into Little Kimble on the A4010), you can skirt round it, although it does then mean that you have to ride on a more major road for just over a mile rather than the quieter back roads that SRW's route takes.

Technically, yes! But I dislike the A4010 almost as much as I dislike long draggy climbs - it's a narrow, twisty-turny road that people drive far too quickly on, so I edited the point down for brevity. Going over the top per your first suggestion takes it out all together, and by going a lot further round it's possible to take out all but 100 yards of it and also any semblance of a hill.

I might be persuadable to reroute on Sunday if the Chequers road surface is too horrible.

@CharlieB, @Salty seadog - I'll see you about 9:05 on Saturday; @steverob - I'm guessing about 20 minutes to Missenden? Do you want to pick us up at Costa? I'll be riding a Van Nicholas with a Carradice, and almost certainly wearing FLAB shorts, with either an unbranded plain top or if it's really chilly a Fridays' top. I'm afraid we'll be too early for the steam trains.

Anyone else welcomed, either from Amersham or at Oxford - or points in between.

steverob

Guru
Technically, yes! But I dislike the A4010 almost as much as I dislike long draggy climbs - it's a narrow, twisty-turny road that people drive far too quickly on, so I edited the point down for brevity. Going over the top per your first suggestion takes it out all together, and by going a lot further round it's possible to take out all but 100 yards of it and also any semblance of a hill.

I might be persuadable to reroute on Sunday if the Chequers road surface is too horrible.

Agree that the A4010 isn't particularly pleasant. I normally try to avoid it, but that's easier for me as I'm coming from the north side of it, so I can ride through Marsh, Owlswick, etc.

No, I'd definitely stick with the route you'd originally planned, because that gives me a chance to be lazy and meet you at Butlers Cross instead of Missenden - I'll get an extra 45 minutes in bed on Saturday morning that way! I estimate (basing your speed on how long you've said the recce ride took you) you'll get there somewhere around 9:55, so I'll definitely be there before then.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't be like that I've got to get a train at ten to six for this.
Similar here (six to six) and it's about half an hour away... I'm still waiting to see how I feel tomorrow before making a final decision :rolleyes:

OP
OP
srw

srw

Folder will be fine. I've allowed more than 3 hours to do less than 30 mostly flat miles to Stanton St John if we're going to meet the pros running at their fastest estimated speed.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
srw

srw

Agree that the A4010 isn't particularly pleasant. I normally try to avoid it, but that's easier for me as I'm coming from the north side of it, so I can ride through Marsh, Owlswick, etc.

No, I'd definitely stick with the route you'd originally planned, because that gives me a chance to be lazy and meet you at Butlers Cross instead of Missenden - I'll get an extra 45 minutes in bed on Saturday morning that way! I estimate (basing your speed on how long you've said the recce ride took you) you'll get there somewhere around 9:55, so I'll definitely be there before then.
See you then - will you be by the village hall carpark?. It looks like you're waiting for a motley crue of riders on assorted bikes, and I suspect I won't be the first down the hill.

Top Bottom