England : Oxfordshire The Oxford pie-cnic. Saturday 9th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A pie-cnic is an informal social gathering involving pies - pork, game, chicken, gala or anything else. The notional excuse is a nod to the late forum member @vernon, but it's really an opportunity for forummers to get together, lie in a park of a sunny afternoon, drink gin, gossip and eat themselves stupid. Followed by going to a pub to drink themselves stupid.

Stupidity and drink feature high on the agenda.

There will be a pie-cnic in Oxford on Saturday 9th September, probably in the University Parks. There might be a feeder ride or two (see next post for one possibility), with the intention of arriving in the city at about 12:30 for a pre-pie-cnic sharpener. Oxford has a covered market which sells almost all the essentials, and there are supermarkets too.

I suspect that at some stage during the day or evening we might find ourselves at one or more of the KA, the Turf or (for the literate) the Bird and Baby. It will be sunny (it always is in Oxford, and always is in early September), but just in case there are plenty of other pubs, or for the cultivated several rather good, and free, museums.

Oxford is very easy to get to by train - it has connections to Worcester, to Birmingham, to Bristol and the West via Reading and to London via High Wycombe or Didcot. For the full undergraduate experience, several colleges offer B&B accommodation, or there are assorted hotels to suit any budget. To avoid the other component of the undergraduate experience, bring a very sturdy bike lock if you ride!

I'll start making proper plans in a conversation later in the summer, but in the meantime, get it in your diaries, and express an interest here. So far the other thread has registered as possibles @User, @Salty seadog, @User14044 and the Prof, @robjh, @Fab Foodie, @Hill Wimp, @mjr, @StuAff, @Nigel182, @The Velvet Curtain, @Lullabelle, @Markymark, @User, @hopless500, @Drago, @CarlP. And possibly others - I apologise for any laxity.

A note to members of the Fridays! Yes - I know that this is the first day of Le Sightseer, for which @mmmmartin is providing a route of very short days. But the previous weekend is the major London to Felpham which, holiday permitting, I'd like to do, and if I wait until Le Sightseer has returned the weather is getting riskier and @rvw and I have unbreakable Sunday commitments. Martin has pointed out that it would be possible to get a train from Oxford to Portsmouth (change at Basinstoke or Reading and Guildford) in time for the overnight ferry to Caen and a lunchtime intercept.

OP
OP
srw

srw

My current thought is that I'll ride to Oxford, and anyone who wants to join me would be very welcome. Departure point would be Amersham station, with a route via Chequers, Thame for coffee and Stanton St John. Amersham is on the Metropolitan line of London Underground and on the Chiltern Line out of Marylebone to Aylesbury, and tickets at the weekend cost the princely sum of £4.10 each way from anywhere in the Oyster card area. Both lines happily take bikes, and the Met trains in particular have oodles of space. I'd time departure for about 9:30, for a specified train.

I will watch this thread with interest. My sister will be flying out from Oregon the following Tuesday for a tour (by motor) of Scotland. Her itinerary starts in Edinburgh and I have a cunning (though still quite vague) plan of taking the train up to Alnwick or Berwick and cycling to Edinburgh to meet her. If that happens, I'll probably be on the train on Sat the 9th. But it may not happen, or at least the way I've described, so I'm pencilling in the Pie-cnic as well to cover all bases. (Your Amersham feeder ride appeals, too.)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I do love these cultural get togethers. Best book a hotel :hyper:.
.....and a barn for the warthog :rolleyes:

OP
OP
srw

srw

There is also a YHA. It's moved - it used to be up in Headington next to Bob Maxwell's mansion.

steverob

Guru
I'll admit I'm interested in tagging along, although I'd probably only be around for the feeder ride and the pie-cnic and wouldn't be staying for the pub bit.

Once it's decided what train everyone's getting to Amersham, I'll see whether it's easier for me to head there myself, or possibly intercept the route at say Great Missenden (as I'd be coming from the other direction on the Chiltern Line).

Top Bottom