England : Oxfordshire The Oxford pie-cnic. Saturday 9th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Martin has pointed out that it would be possible to get a train from Oxford to Portsmouth (change at Basinstoke or Reading and Guildford) in time for the overnight ferry to Caen and a lunchtime intercept.
You can do both if you wish. (We've had a chat before this went live.)

And Le Sightseer has been on the website for a while but I've been focused on the July Tour, hence no emails. But as it isn't until September I reckoned we could move on to that after the July trip.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's a long way to September but I could be up for this. Judging by the list of Cyclechat royalty who've expressed an interest, it should be a good day. I'll probably ride up from Winchester as the route over the North Wessex Downs is spectacular. Anyone from my ends (@StuAff ?) planning to do similar, then PM me.

To add to the general knowledge of trains, Cross Country operate from Bournemouth direct to Oxford through Southampton, Winch, Amazingstoke and the Ding, but bike spaces are limited and strictly should be booked, although the train staff are generally chilled.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It's a long way to September but I could be up for this. Judging by the list of Cyclechat royalty who've expressed an interest, it should be a good day. I'll probably ride up from Winchester as the route over the North Wessex Downs is spectacular. Anyone from my ends (@StuAff ?) planning to do similar, then PM me.

To add to the general knowledge of trains, Cross Country operate from Bournemouth direct to Oxford through Southampton, Winch, Amazingstoke and the Ding, but bike spaces are limited and strictly should be booked, although the train staff are generally chilled.
Could be tempted to ride it. It's only 85 miles or so…will depend on what happens with the September tour though…

Current plans remain: it's still on the agenda. But you can do both, should you choose so to do.
And it's a shame that my sister has booked her flights from Oregon coinciding with Le Sightseer.

(It'll be 2 years since I've seen her and 9 years since her last visit to the UK as she has been primary carer for our mother, who has now gone into a home, literally liberating my sister. So obviously she takes priority.)

Bring her along
She is coming to Scotland for a climbers convention and some Munro bagging. Not a cyclist. We will spend a few days in Edinburgh with her, either preceded by a little cycling tour of own own through the Borders or followed by cycling down to the Lake District.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hmmm. Maybe a slightly different plan is in order, involving a ride out to somewhere to the West of Aylesbury. I'll study the map and have a think.

Top Bottom