Amy Winehouse - Norwegians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do not for a moment believe that Amys death is of greater significance than the tragic loss of life in Norway. The think is many people knew Amy through her music and the press as well as those who knew her in person. In that way alone her death hits more people than 94+ lives that most of us do not know. All loss of life is tragic but some lives have a greater impact on people than others - Princess Diana for example was just one person but her death brought the country to a virtual standstill.

Its also the case that, for better or worse, the deaths of fellow Britons are always seen as more important than those of other nationalities. It reminds me of a sketch (Not the Nine O'Clock News I think - can't find anything on Google or YouTube) of News for Penguins where the only thing of importance in each news report was whether any penguins were involved/injured/killed. I'm reminded of it every time a disaster is reported with an obligatory comment of whether any Britons were involved as if the rest are of lesser importance.

aberal

Guru
It is completely false to attempt to equate road deaths with the kind of murders we have just heard about in Norway. In case you can't make the qualitative distinction, allow me to make it for you: a road death is an accident. It may be horrible and ultimately avoidable but usually it is no more than rotten luck in much the same way as a fatal accident in the home can be rotten luck.

As far as I'm aware, the police no longer refer to road deaths/crashes as "accidents". An accident implies that no one is to blame. The qualitative distinction that you are attempting to make is that the Norway murders will have been carried out with malice aforethought, whereas road incidents are highly unlikely to be. They are most certainly not blameless.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I just felt yesterday that it was tragic to see so many RIP Amy blah blah blah while I saw maybe one in 20 posts about the unfortunate unjust taking of life in Norway, on Facebook and such sites.

Do you think it was the same in Norway? Do you think Facebook users in Norway or Scandivavia as a whole, are thinking about Amy W.

I think AngelFishSolo has answered the point. We feel more for what we know. We don't know the Norwegians nor the Africans nor the Afghans. These are all faraway people with whom we have no connection.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Its also the case that, for better or worse, the deaths of fellow Britons are always seen as more important than those of other nationalities. It reminds me of a sketch (Not the Nine O'Clock News I think - can't find anything on Google or YouTube) of News for Penguins where the only thing of importance in each news report was whether any penguins were involved/injured/killed. I'm reminded of it every time a disaster is reported with an obligatory comment of whether any Britons were involved as if the rest are of lesser importance.

Once again - sad but true.

Today's BBC news front page with five different fatal incidents reported:

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.34.50.png

How many other people were surprised at this happening in Norway, as in beyond the tragedy of the event, Norway just does not seem to be the kind of place this kind of thing could happen in, it still seems surreal to me.

OP
OP
T

The One That Got Away

Do you think it was the same in Norway? Do you think Facebook users in Norway or Scandivavia as a whole, are thinking about Amy W.

I think AngelFishSolo has answered the point. We feel more for what we know. We don't know the Norwegians nor the Africans nor the Afghans. These are all faraway people with whom we have no connection.

I don't really agree with that,
We do know it there's been plenty of documentaries, them on the news and all sorts we know who they are its just most people can't connect it to real life and I understand that why people can connect to the death of Amy rather than the death of "just some people"

But yes we don't know them in person as we did with Amy,

We do all have a connection though we are all human? Norway is in Europe, there lifestyle is not so different from ours? Of course its different but we still do have connection

Anyhow my main point was more to topic of peoples priorities how someone not so great seemed to be more remembered than people who were more innocent

it upsets me the most how these young people/ children have died at least Amy lived her life while many don't
I'm only 16 so I've still got much to learn and much to do
the saddest thing I find is there's so much I want to do yet I know I don't have the time to do it all

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Just prioritise what is fun, important and worthwhile to you.

Be true to yourself, respect others and don't smoke. Then you'll be on the right track!

And don't forget the sunscreen :biggrin:

OP
OP
T

The One That Got Away

Just prioritise what is fun, important and worthwhile to you.

Be true to yourself, respect others and don't smoke. Then you'll be on the right track!

Its the way I try to do it, (not drinking either)
I find it sad though because I want to do so much but simply there isn't the time or money
I know I can definitely do more with my time and I want
I just want to look back on my life when I'm old and grey and have know regrets

Best of luck and a speedy recovery for those you Norwegians you know
Hope you and others affected are also okay

Its the way I try to do it, (not drinking either)
I find it sad though because I want to do so much but simply there isn't the time or money
I know I can definitely do more with my time and I want
I just want to look back on my life when I'm old and grey and have know regrets

Best of luck and a speedy recovery for those you Norwegians you know
Hope you and others affected are also okay

Thanks TOTGA!

Don't worry about the future TOO much! It's the present (here and now) that counts. :becool:

Top Bottom