An alternative to Royal mail any ideas ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I've finally had enough of Royal mail failing to deliver on time, losing stuff and generally being crap, Is there a better service that you know of and how do I use them ?

Cheers all.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Try Yodel .... RM will seem like heaven in comparison

postman

Legendary Member
Retired Postman,retired Postman.Funny how it's all gone down hill since 2004 when redundancy was first rolled out.Postman here took his in 2006.Thousands of good loyal workers were totally fed up,so took the money and early pension.
It might just get worse after 2018.Watch this space.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Most people get what's coming to them.

Unless it was sent with Royal Mail.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have to say my postlady is excellent, and when RM announced plans to withdraw her from the route there was an outcry and she was reinstated. Friendly, first names with everyone, knows where to stash small parcels if were not in. A level of personal service and customer relationship building that is all but forgotten

As for the OP, what do the carriers like DHL charge in comparison?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Coopers carriers or hermes here for the worst service on the planet. With coopers carriers, i think it was in the terms amd conditons that every parcel had to be left standing in water for at least 3 days, lost in the back of the warehouse for another 5 days, especially if they were plants, then kicked from one end of the warehouse to the other when eventually found again before throwing it into the van, then finally when the parcel reached its destination, it was thrown out of the van and onto the ground as hard as they could, thus ensuring that your parcel was well and truly guaranteed to be smashed to pieces. In the end i always stipulated that coopers carriers were not to be used to deliver anything that i bought and to this day, i will complain if ever anything is delivered by them. Hermes are not much better.

On the other hand, Royal mail here are great. I know all the drivers, the parcels are undamaged and nothing is ever lost or damaged, and i love DPD.

In defence of the post office. We post hundreds of items per year between worksites via RM (no franking on site, just typically going down to the post office)

From parcels, letters, recorded, tracked, 1st class, 2nd class. They've always arrived on time, and I've never seen anything go missing either.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As for the OP, what do the carriers like DHL charge in comparison?
A fortune by comparison. But one thing is for sure you know you'll get it.

I have to use them to get stuff down here. I have had things by regular post but its a palaver getting it as there are no post deliveries. Plus street naming is a mess.

My local DHL delivery man, Baba, is great and knows where to find me. Always give him a nice tip which helps.

DHL charge different rates depending on how much the retailer uses them so charges can vary wildly.

Drago

Legendary Member
Exactly @Cycleops Your man Baba sounds like my post lady, and delivers that level of personal service you can't teach or count on a spreadsheet. These companies need to pay more attention to that sort of thing.

Top Bottom