An answer to bike thieves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Arguing one way or the other is completely, utterly, hopelessly pointless. I was just having some fun.
Make that pin harder to press in then.

Looks like it only works if there's another device in it's vicinity, so pointless, unless the thief also carries one? I hear of similar devices, but operating with GPS, the problem is remembering to check the battery and having it work when you really need it, then finding somewhere safe for it to hide, where the thief wouldn't think to look.

Reactions: mjr
err, been away and didn't notice the small error. Still, it's given you all something to do. I meant this:

https://store.thetrackr.com
You don't actually want our opinions, obviously, or you would have dropped back to learn from us (yes, you have been back to CC before today).

I am also concerned that we are restricting ourselves to just this universe, when there may be an infinity of other universes and indeed our universe may be branching into in multiverses for each random movement of subatomic particles.

I am also concerned that we are restricting ourselves to just this universe, when there may be an infinity of other universes and indeed our universe may be branching into in multiverses for each random movement of subatomic particles.
Restricting yourself to the known universe is the only sensible thing to do...else you could end up in a place where time and space does not exist - like Yorkshire.

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Hardly, smart phones are like rats, you are rarely more than 30 yards from one. It is very small and thin although I agree about finding somewhere to hide it. Taped under the saddle might do. Battery life is not bad at a year.

@porteous, does it not depend on being connected to an app? Not all smartphone users will carry it, and proliferation of the device and app cannot be relied upon, rendering its intended use as a long range tracking device a bit hopeless.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hardly, smart phones are like rats, you are rarely more than 30 yards from one. It is very small and thin although I agree about finding somewhere to hide it. Taped under the saddle might do. Battery life is not bad at a year.

As above - smartphones are ubiquitous, but this app will be lucky to be running on one in a hundred thousand. There are plenty of these style trackers around all with different apps, the best use for them is for finding your keys.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

But not every smart phone user will have downloaded the relevant app. That's only going to be of interest to people who've bought a Trackr for themselves and considering that globally they've only sold 4.5 million, there's only a very small chance of a fellow user being near enough (within 30m) to your target device to help you find it.

I use a small GPS tracker that I can use on various things like my luggage while travelling, my drone, my camera equipment, and my car. I'm still looking for a way to hide on my bike as the saddle rails are preventing me getting it out of sight under there. Battery life is good and I can track it live on the provided website, or just send it to sleep and ping its location as and when I need to know it and it'll send its coordinates back to me (viewable in Google maps).

It doesn't rely on other people or devices as it works just like a mobile phone. In fact, I can call it and listen to whatever's going on in its vicinity. It'd also be good for wandering pets or elderly relatives who might suffer from Alzheimer's.

@glasgowcyclist, that looks good, there may one day be trackers designed to fit internally in the frame, the seatpost being an ideal location, sadly as thieves catch on the tracking will no more useful as GPS tracking is on a mobile is now. i.e. they learn switch em off.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
You don't actually want our opinions, obviously, or you would have dropped back to learn from us (yes, you have been back to CC before today).

Quarks?

Top Bottom