An English Gentleman, Lost in the Midwest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I know a fellow here who has had a Raleigh Super Course since way back, maybe the 70's. A fine bicycle, that's for sure. But mostly around here you see few British bicycles, mostly Raleigh(used to be a dealer here in town) and rebadged Hercules three speeds that hardware and department stores sold. German Bicycles even fewer, although I once owned a Matthias Stollenwerk (from Aachen). Peugeots mostly were the carbolite basic range. I own a G. LaPierre, but it's the only one I've ever seen, and it's pretty basic, but great condition for a 1970's road bike.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Spring has sprung around here, time for work to commence on the Falcon. After a couple of quick projects. This one won't be rushed.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In Illinois, if you don't like the weather, five minutes will bring something else. High of about 5-6C on Saturday, but slowly warming. As I work in an unheated garage, I'm rather at the mercies of weather.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
In Illinois, if you don't like the weather, five minutes will bring something else. High of about 5-6C on Saturday, but slowly warming. As I work in an unheated garage, I'm rather at the mercies of weather.
That's what they say about England. If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes... and its true! At the moment I have sunshine and blue sky with some fluffy white clouds - but the window has raindrops all over it and the ground is wet. The rain will probably be back soon.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Generally, it seems my dogs have an idea when rain will arrive. Currently, at dawn, with 13C, going for a high of about 18C. And 50mph winds. Usual stuff is about 5 or 6C, maybe warming to 7 or 8. March can be a real mixed bag anywhere, it seems.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
And the rain is back... :laugh::laugh:

southcoast

Über Member
So anyway, I was beaten to a Craigslist curb alert (where people let you know they are throwing out stuff) by a fellow bicycle fettler, he got all the bikes and I just got some of those multi-drawer tool boxes. He messaged me today, and said this looked a bit out of his depth, due to the cottered cranks, and would I like it? I said I think I would, and went down to pick it up. I knew it was an Ernie Clements Falcon, but I didn't know it was a San Remo. Thrown out on the curb. It also had a Campy Tubular wheel (rear)not pictured. I think this will be a full on restoration, but as all the original equipment, except for the bar end shifters, are present, I think it will be a street restoration. Downtube shifters seem more appropriate. This fellow may be down on his luck, but I am hoping to restore his fortunes and his cherished place in society. View attachment 439520

Falcon racing blue war paint. :smile:
Here’s my later version.

D8902E2C-7E99-4DA0-B533-2C50077A60B7.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
-7c today, but Wednesday keeps looking better and better.I have wheels, but no tires at the moment. I can't get to the co-op this week, yet more training off site, but still have to complete duties. But I have wheels,cables, and weather so at least a start can be made Wednesday.

Top Bottom