An English Gentleman, Lost in the Midwest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
So anyway, I was beaten to a Craigslist curb alert (where people let you know they are throwing out stuff) by a fellow bicycle fettler, he got all the bikes and I just got some of those multi-drawer tool boxes. He messaged me today, and said this looked a bit out of his depth, due to the cottered cranks, and would I like it? I said I think I would, and went down to pick it up. I knew it was an Ernie Clements Falcon, but I didn't know it was a San Remo. Thrown out on the curb. It also had a Campy Tubular wheel (rear)not pictured. I think this will be a full on restoration, but as all the original equipment, except for the bar end shifters, are present, I think it will be a street restoration. Downtube shifters seem more appropriate. This fellow may be down on his luck, but I am hoping to restore his fortunes and his cherished place in society.
falcon-san-remo.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, the original paint looks great. A bit of elbow grease and that'll have a lovely patina.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Lot of paint nicks and chips, and plenty of dirt, rust and patina. But all the original spec. equipment is there, just seems so odd for a person to throw out all those bicycles. This was just the tip of the iceberg with the treasure trove on the street that day. 80's and 90's Treks and Diamondback Road frames, wheels, and cycling equipment. It was an area that last saw development in the 60's and 70's, with a few houses, like this one, looking to be owner-built. Some in-laws lived in this area then, so I should try and get some info that way. I went to a few garage sales at this house over the years, mostly just cycling accessories. I sort of had the feeling this guy had some real jewels around somewhere. And I opened up dialogue with the bike flipper this way, and I think we may be able to do some business which profits us both.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ooohhh, it gets better and better! Falcon were always decent enough, but most of the range were gas pipe specials, tidy but unremarkable. 531 tubed Falcons aren't exactly enfpdangered, but there uncommon enough to raise an eyebrow. On your side of the pond that's be quite a rarity. Nice find indeed.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
So anyway, I was beaten to a Craigslist curb alert (where people let you know they are throwing out stuff) by a fellow bicycle fettler, he got all the bikes and I just got some of those multi-drawer tool boxes. He messaged me today, and said this looked a bit out of his depth, due to the cottered cranks, and would I like it? I said I think I would, and went down to pick it up. I knew it was an Ernie Clements Falcon, but I didn't know it was a San Remo. Thrown out on the curb. It also had a Campy Tubular wheel (rear)not pictured. I think this will be a full on restoration, but as all the original equipment, except for the bar end shifters, are present, I think it will be a street restoration. Downtube shifters seem more appropriate. This fellow may be down on his luck, but I am hoping to restore his fortunes and his cherished place in society. View attachment 439520

I’ll tell you what that is, that’s lovely, that’s what that is.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I assume the front fork is straight, in the picture it looks a little weird?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Blimey, the original paint looks great. A bit of elbow grease and that'll have a lovely patina.
Absolutely! Please do not repaint, refinish, update or upgrade the looks. It is good just as it is and has more character, charisma, kudos and presence than any modern bike on the market.
I assume the front fork is straight, in the picture it looks a little weird?
That's how they were 'back in the day'. Looks strange compared to the modern straight fork but the ride is superb as the fork can flex at the curve to smooth out the buzz and bumps of the road. Flex/comfort doesn't necessarily mean woolly handling, but modern manufacturers seem scared to be accused of poor handling when it is actually just good but soft handling!
Lovely machine I bought this fully campaged San Remo off Mick after he won the national champs on it.wished I had kept it , View attachment 439550
Just look at those legs! He's just a hard man cycling machine! Yes, you should have kept it...

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ooohhh, it gets better and better! Falcon were always decent enough, but most of the range were gas pipe specials, tidy but unremarkable. 531 tubed Falcons aren't exactly enfpdangered, but there uncommon enough to raise an eyebrow. On your side of the pond that's be quite a rarity. Nice find indeed.
That's what I thought it was when he got it, but I still talked with him about it. When I saw what it was, I was even more impressed . People can be wonderful, at times.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That's a great find especially considering where you are. Does the rear campag wheel come with a LF hub? If its only a rear might be a problem getting a matching front I imagine.
You'd better brush up your sewing skills!
I don't know if I'll ride with sew-ups, but I do have a matching front already. Or close to matching. Campy hubs with Mavic rims. And I could always lace some Campy hubs to clincher rims. Or I could just buy some tubulars, and season them over the winter.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Absolutely! Please do not repaint, refinish, update or upgrade the looks. It is good just as it is and has more character, charisma, kudos and presence than any modern bike on the market.

That's how they were 'back in the day'. Looks strange compared to the modern straight fork but the ride is superb as the fork can flex at the curve to smooth out the buzz and bumps of the road. Flex/comfort doesn't necessarily mean woolly handling, but modern manufacturers seem scared to be accused of poor handling when it is actually just good but soft handling!

Just look at those legs! He's just a hard man cycling machine! Yes, you should have kept it...
I don't have any plans or ideas for this bike beyond a good cleaning, overhaul, and riding. A good coat of wax is all I think it needs. Anything added would just subtract from the overall experience. Oh, and a leather saddle. And more pictures. More on my blog, Thursday. Right on Thanks-giving. And we'll see, there may be another Trek coming along as well. I can get my modification jollies with that one.

Top Bottom