An English Gentleman, Lost in the Midwest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Companion for the Falcon, a 1980 Worksop Raleigh Super Grand Prix, although I thought Worksop closed by 1980, this may have been 1979 production serialized for 1980. No need for restoration, even the tires are good on this one.
View attachment 466315
Needs larger pedals, though. maybe extenders. And I need to lower the seat post about an inch.
That is...very, very large!

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That's the XXL Raleigh there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's the XXL Raleigh there.
Yep they made some lovely big frames,

DSCN0129.JPG

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Yes, but directly after this there was a split, and the Raleighs you got in Britain were different from the Raleigh USA models, some of which were made of bonded aluminum, made in Kent Washington, and I believe we also got some Japan and British models as well. In the 70's, guys would de-tassel corn all summer to get enough for a good Raleigh. In the 80's, things kind of slipped on all fronts.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
On the Falcon, the derailleurs, handlebars, and brakes are fitted. The chain stays and fork are spread for more modern wheels, also fitted.
Starting to look quite like a bicycle, as well as a work of art.
The Raleigh has 700x32c tires now. No fenders, no room.

otek59

Yes, but directly after this there was a split, and the Raleighs you got in Britain were different from the Raleigh USA models, some of which were made of bonded aluminum, made in Kent Washington, and I believe we also got some Japan and British models as well. In the 70's, guys would de-tassel corn all summer to get enough for a good Raleigh. In the 80's, things kind of slipped on all fronts.
I used to have a Raleigh Technium road bike, quite rare in the UK only sold because it was a bit big for me

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Technium was an American model, made in the 1980s as a road bike, MTB, and commuter. Made in Raleigh's Kent Washington facility, where, instead of having people learn to weld steel and aluminum, they had them glue the main triangle of aluminum tubes to the Cr-Mo internal lugs, IIRC. I have had a few Techniums over the years. I currently have a City Runner commuter frame in my basement. I liked the road bike as well.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
falcon-complete.jpg

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Looking good :smile:. Maybe some nice stainless top tube cable clips and some silver pedals to finish it off?
Most likely, when that can be organized. I have some original cable clips, and some nicer Italian ones as well. Pedals should be easy. I just needed enough to get a feel for the bike, and test it out a bit. I have to replace a garage door opener before any cash outlay, but I feel there will be negligible cash outlay, all I have to do is locate a few things.

Top Bottom