An idea for stored power -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
greater minds with greater resources got their first. I was trying to do it without electronics - I hope one day all these will come together and bikes will be very different in the future.

Linford

This is promising as an energy source.

l

Linford

Already in use, in trainers to charge your mobile device.

They were generating electricity from burning hydrocarbons in them. No idea of the progression of this, but if they can get it right, could power a new generation of hybrid e vehicles which are very frugal and with enough performance for either very lightweight power packs or big performance.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ok this is just an idea, I was considering ways of storing power in a bicycle to provide a boost when you need it - without using an engine.

one way I thought was using momentum.
I have seen how if you put a weight on the outside of a wheel you can make the wheel spin longer as the momentum in the weight carries on after the power has stopped.

now imagine a tube on your wheel , in it is a stop and a weight , as the wheel spins the stop carries the weight around inside the tube, and so the weight is carried at the speed of the wheel, now if the wheel slows down , the weight carries on around the the tube till it hits the stop and then the force of the weight drivers the wheel on.

so thats the theory , whats the maths , well I,ve got 1lb weight at 15mph produces 24.5joules
so if you have it both wheels thats nearly 50 joules of energy driving the wheels round.

I admit I have a fairly shaky grasp of physics (as anyone who knows me will agree) but it seams to work in theory. - I think.

You're just overcomplicating things...

What you need is a bing spring that you can connect to pedals or bike at will. Thus, along the flat you can divert effort to wind up the clockwork, then when you need an extra spurt on, you engage "clockwork boost". You could wind up the spring with the bike stationary at home whilst you are watching telly - and use this stored energy on next day's commute....

.....but don't tell anyone - I'm off to the patent office tomorrow

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You're just overcomplicating things...

What you need is a bing spring that you can connect to pedals or bike at will. Thus, along the flat you can divert effort to wind up the clockwork, then when you need an extra spurt on, you engage "clockwork boost". You could wind up the spring with the bike stationary at home whilst you are watching telly - and use this stored energy on next day's commute....

.....but don't tell anyone - I'm off to the patent office tomorrow
Wouldn't work: Microsoft have probably patented the term "bing" :laugh:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Soon enough, batteries will be light enough and good enough to get this job done off a hub generator. Electrocity will, as always, be the best way forward. Seems hardly sporting. But good for lights and recharging the phone and computer. I have one of those Eton hand-crank radios/flashlights/electronics chargers. When I crank this thing, all dogs in the house come running, as they know I'm going outdoors, generally to check the weather station. Could always check on the Technology Forum, they have a few threads going there.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What is wrong pushing the pedals with your legs? Pour porridge down your neck and push the pedals!

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
What is wrong pushing the pedals with your legs? Pour porridge down your neck and push the pedals!

I'm actually with you on this, I'm just looking for the most effecient use of the power available. - although I 'm all for electric bikes rather than the 2stroke lawnmowers kids scream around on - (scream as in noise not speed)
some great stuff so far , the flywheel is a definate yes in any design I'm working on. mostly to tackle hills and to get into the higher gears on 200tooth chain rings. - (the design on the super bike has got to sponser required stage as prototypes are horribly expensive, just checking pattents is £500+ ) so at present it only exists on paper

Linford

I'm actually with you on this, I'm just looking for the most effecient use of the power available. - although I 'm all for electric bikes rather than the 2stroke lawnmowers kids scream around on - (scream as in noise not speed)
some great stuff so far , the flywheel is a definate yes in any design I'm working on. mostly to tackle hills and to get into the higher gears on 200tooth chain rings. - (the design on the super bike has got to sponser required stage as prototypes are horribly expensive, just checking pattents is £500+ ) so at present it only exists on paper
2 strokes can be made very quiet, in fact one of the issues is that an E-car and bike needs to havea bit of noise so others know they are there.

byegad

Legendary Member
The problem with storing energy, is inefficiencies. You lose some as you store it and some more when you take it back out. So to make a bike travel 10% faster you will, over the journey, need to produce a lot more than 10% more energy. Their is no such thing as a free lunch.

Think losses of 50% plus each way. Many systems are much, much worse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom