An idea for stored power -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Just do a turn on the front.

Then you can move back in the pack and take advantage of your ride buddies' stored energy!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
When you start to slow, unclip both feet, stretch both of your legs back as far as you can then thrust then forward as hard as you can. That feels like you get a bit of propulsion....

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Perhaps if you were to mount a linear conduction, or Faraday coil on your wheel in place of the weight, you could power the lights from it, I'd reckon. It would be much lighter than a weight or flywheel. I suppose you could charge a battery for locomotion from that. Or you could set up your rim as the inductor and mount a magnet around it, and use the whole rim as a Faraday Unit.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just smile at a pretty cyclist of compatible* sex, and get a lovely one back. Works heaps better than any momentum-storage scheme :smile:.

* i.e. whatever floats yer boat.

chriss2.0

i see a few physics problems with your idea, if your 1lb weight is free floating, your wheel will be impossible to balance, and the centrifugal force after 7mph on a 26" wheel could bend weak metal and very likely pull your tire off your wheel, also, sudden stops are a problem too, "an object in motion tends to stay in motion" your weight will indeed nudge you foreword but at inopportune times

like a sudden stop at traffic lights.

your best bet to store a good amount of kinetic energy with minimal extra weight would be a sprung coil with a clutch

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
arr you may have a point, I just looked at the impact would be, hmm - maybe a flywheel would be a better solution, the difference is I would use a non-balanced one, you get a greater centrfugal effect. with a clever gear to engage and not engage would work best.
my idea was very crude and not controlable. - but the theory of stored power works.

Linford

I've got an idea, use a flywheel, attach an arm to it to magnify the forces, and the weight on the end of it can be moved by pressure created by perhaps gas released from a cylinder, or burning something really flammable to build some pressure up to do the same thing.....:blink:

Top Bottom