An Idiot's guide to recumbents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I mentioned on a previous thread I too am seriously considering a recumbent, probably next year. Has anyone got any experience or knowledge of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recumbent...-Bike-Racer-/251980934252?hash=item3aab3bec6c

The price is attractive, thought I wonder if it is as easy to control as this guy makes it look in the video.

I rode one many years ago called a Chinkara

Lovely machine, but my mind could not engage with the whole front end tilting

You can steer with hands or legs....but pedalling needs to be very smooth to avoid the pedalling motion making the bike weave

OP
OP
S

seraphina

Thank you so much everyone, this is exactly the kind of chat I am after. I am especially grateful for all the offers of test rides etc - I am near Cambridge so D-Tek sound like a great option (Is there a website? My Google-fu has been weak) - I think most other people are a bit far away, as I have two small children to wrangle wherever I go. But the offers are very much appreciated :smile:

@arallsopp - your airplane example describes it perfectly. As I think I stated earlier, my initial preference would be for a trike, for comfort reasons. I have no mobility/joint issues currently. Speed is not really an issue (well, I like going fast but it's not my main reason for riding) - Mr S is a bit faster than me anyway when we are out on uprights so I have made my peace with that!

I have been spending lots of time on the websites of the manufacturers mentioned here which has been helpful. Stupid question - can I use my usual panniers on a trike? I suspect ground clearance may be an issue but racks etc are available?

question - can I use my usual panniers on a trike? I suspect ground clearance may be an issue but racks etc are available?

Sometimes you need to modify a standard rack to fit a trike another alternative is hamster bags for push chairs
here is an example of both on our trikes
shshehamsterbags88.jpg

Pushchair Hamster bags about £30 a pair work well as well ----- http://hamsterbags.co.uk/
sham ferry.jpg

Standard pannier rack needed a brace from the rack down to a fixing on the rear triangle in this instance

If Mr S is a handy DIYer he might like this

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/building-a-couple-of-20-wheel-tadpole-e-trike-from-scratch.166210/

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
The guy at D-Tek is great, give him a ring. I planned to spend a day with him this year to get a new recumbent but unfortunately I have a frozen shoulder and have postponed my purchase till next year. There isn't a website but his details are

D Tek
Main Street Little Thetford Cambridgeshire CB6 1BR
Phone: 01353 648 177

I have a HP Velotechnik Spirit, which I have enjoyed riding a lot - the comfort of not having to bend your neck backwards is so lovely and going downhill is like being on a speeding sofa - however it is heavy and this is why I want a new one.

TRAINS!! - I have thought about a trike but unless you have a folder it would be pretty hard to get on a train. I use trains quite a bit so this is why I wouldn't get one. I find my Spirit hard to carry over railway bridges too - I use a lot of small rural stations without lifts - so if this is important to you, consider it! I am probably going to go for a high racer bike next, which I hope will be lighter. For me, even a folding trike might be too much to carry when needed, due to my shoulder issues, but really think about picking the bike up when you test ride.

You need not to be a shrinking violet - everyone will wave and point! I am a total attention queen anyway so I cope...

byegad

Legendary Member
1. You can get on a trike and ride it without any training, although you'll need to learn how it corners and lean into the inside off the corner to some degree if you are going very fast!
2. Two wheel 'bents are so diverse it's hard to generalise, but you will need to learn how to balance any of them at low speed. It took me a while to stop and start on my AZUB-4 without the occasional topple over.
3. I found the tops of my thighs ached after riding for the 500 or so miles, you do, in my experience,
(As a 'bent owner since 2005 and 'bent only rider since 2008.) use slightly different muscles, but if you're generally fit, rather than specifically DF fit it won't be an issue.
4. Recumbents are fun, they attract attention both parked and in motion. Fit a small flag or better yet a pole with fluorescent ribbon lengths attached, this is not to attract the attention of the vehicle behind you, but the one behind that, so make it high enough to be seen through the windows of a car. Expect people to want to talk to you about your 'bent.
5. Recumbents are safer than DFs. When I was riding both I was always stunned by how damned close cars passed me on a DF compared to the wide passes that are routine on a 'bent.

OP
OP
S

seraphina

Thanks again everyone - I have a few more questions.

Wheel size - how does this matter? I note that ICE Sprint, for example, is available in 20 inch and 26 inch wheel sizes - why does this matter? Why would you choose one over another?

Suspension - I wouldn't dream of putting suspension in any of my uprights, as I don't ride off road. Why is it marketed on recumbents? Is it just to get you to part with more cash?

@seraphina

Suspension on trikes ( 20" front wheels ) does help get rid of the big road shocks. We ( as a hobby ) have built both suspension and non suspension trikes and used and tested both large and narrow profile tyres , in 20/20 , 20/24 and 20/26 format development .

Another problem you encounter with the smaller size wheel is the limited high gear available but the available lower gears ratios are lower than a 26" wheel trike

Currently our 20/20 e-trikes use a mid mounted single damper which does absorb a lot of the usual bumps that are normal with small wheel bikes and trikes

A mesh seat rather than a hard seat is also a blessing for longer trips ,

Under seat steering is also beneficial rather than the side to side movement of Direct steering used on cheaper production trikes .
Disc brakes now are becoming standard fitting and the over active use of a rear brake will induce some interesting tail slides as the weight transfers to the front wheels under braking ..

These things were all part of the learning curve that we have found while developing and building our own pair of holiday e-trikes .

I hope these points help in making your selection - remember there are several trikes available from overseas suppliers BUT the chances of good after sales service in the event of a catastrophic failure just might not happen !

regards emma

jayjay

Veteran
Panniers - Ortlieb Classic rollers fit just fine on my Ice rear rack, with a 20 inch rear wheel. I use small recumbent side bags too hung over the seat which do not interfere with the rear luggage.
20 inch wheels tend to drop into holes more than larger wheels, so fairly fat tyres are a good idea for comfort, or suspension, I use both and accept the extra weight.

starhawk

When I changed from DF to bent I had no thought in the direction of a two-wheeler, it was going to be a trike no question about it, and the first testride confirmed it, I absolutely loved it, still do!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Wheel size - how does this matter? I note that ICE Sprint, for example, is available in 20 inch and 26 inch wheel sizes - why does this matter? Why would you choose one over another?

You can have all manner of discussion about strength and weight and rolling resistance, but for me the following is the basis for choice:

20 inch plus points:
  • same tyre size all around, so you can use that spare tube on any of the wheels.
20 inch negative points:
  • 20" drive wheel requires custom sprocket on back, or giant chainring on front, or additional gear steps at my preferred cadence. I use a 26" drive wheel and mostly normal gearing.
  • 20" tyre choice not brilliant. Chances of finding a spare rim/tyre/spoke/tube en route are slim (a tyre blow out in Poole once saw me cycle my 20/26 recumbent 145 miles home with an aftermarket tyre on the front. It was pink, and it had ponies painted around the tyre wall).
Suspension - I wouldn't dream of putting suspension in any of my uprights, as I don't ride off road. Why is it marketed on recumbents? Is it just to get you to part with more cash?

Compared to a DF, suspension works in a different way. Firstly, it acts 90 degrees to the direction you're pushing the pedals. You push forward/back, suspension goes up down, so you don't lose power to it. Secondly, if its well designed, the driveside chain will pass through the pivot of the rear triangle, so you won't get a bobbing effect under load. Again, your power is used to propel you forwards, the suspension just keeps the ground in reach. Thirdly, and this is the kicker, there's not an easy way to de-weight a recumbent. If you're on an upright and spy raised ironworks, a bump in the road, chipseal, etc, its pretty intuitive to just move your weight to your feet and hands, and drift over it. No need to break stride. On a recumbent, the same manoeuvre requires you to move your weight to your shoulders and toes. Its hard to pull off, and even harder to pedal through. Suspension takes this away from you. On my 20/26, I have it front and rear. On my 26/26, I have it at the back. On my dual 700, I don't have it at all.

Ganymede

Veteran
  • 20" tyre choice not brilliant. Chances of finding a spare rim/tyre/spoke/tube en route are slim (a tyre blow out in Poole once saw me cycle my 20/26 recumbent 145 miles home with an aftermarket tyre on the front. It was pink, and it had ponies painted around the tyre wall).

Pictures, surely....

My Spirit is an old model and the front wheel is only 16" (back is 20). Hellish really, very light steering and limits the speed. They only make them 20/20 now. I still love riding it.

One good thing about a 2-wheel bent is you're pretty sure nobody will steal it, because they won't be able to ride away on it.

Shaun

Founder
Great thread - some excellent advice given and experiences relayed. Keep us updated with your research @seraphina and let us know how you get on. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

As I mentioned on a previous thread I too am seriously considering a recumbent, probably next year. Has anyone got any experience or knowledge of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recumbent...-Bike-Racer-/251980934252?hash=item3aab3bec6c

The price is attractive, thought I wonder if it is as easy to control as this guy makes it look in the video.

....visited a friend up in Chiang Rai recently - he has one of those. Says it's very difficult to ride in any meaningful way, certainly not a beginners choice - images on youtube or wherever can be deceiving. He's happily doing lot's of mods to it to try and tame it in some way. Up close, the front end geometry is way too avant-garde for my liking, think if I'd had a go at riding it I'd have done myself an injury.........:laugh:

Top Bottom