An increase in traffic - or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have conducted a very unscientific and unreliable survey into the matter.

On Easter Monday, I cycled a 5 mile section of a local trunk road, the A78 between Wemyss Bay and Largs. Normally this is a very busy road which I would avoid by taking the hilly but quieter alternative route. However, due to lockdown and the drop off in traffic, I gave it a go. On the stretch from the pierhead at Wemyss Bay to the 40mph limit signs at Largs, I counted the traffic which overtook me, and it was 13 cars and 1 bus.

Since then, I have noticed an apparent increase in vehicular traffic, all obviously on "essential journeys" :rolleyes:.
Today I cycled the same stretch of road, in the same direction and about the same time of day. Weather was like Easter Monday; sunny and dry. Today I counted the traffic which overtook me - 10 cars and no buses!

Once in Largs, traffic was heavier. I can only assume that "local" traffic is on the increase as people chance their arm with a short run out to the supermarket, or other assorted errands. Outside of town, all seems just as quiet as it was a few weeks ago. I'm disappointed to report that I can't have a good rant on the subject :laugh:.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
There certainly has been an increase in cars in east Bristol since a few weeks ago.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I gauge the traffic by the A20 in Deptford heading into London. A couple of weeks into lockdown it was pretty light. Last Friday traffic was backed up due to the sheer amount of vehicles.

boydj

Legendary Member
Here in Paisley, depending on what time you go out, I'd say the roads are a little busier than they were a couple of weeks ago. They are still pretty quiet though. One thing I've noticed is that there are more cars with multiple occupants, where a couple of weeks ago the majority had only the driver on board.

Slick

Guru
I have conducted a very unscientific and unreliable survey into the matter.

On Easter Monday, I cycled a 5 mile section of a local trunk road, the A78 between Wemyss Bay and Largs. Normally this is a very busy road which I would avoid by taking the hilly but quieter alternative route. However, due to lockdown and the drop off in traffic, I gave it a go. On the stretch from the pierhead at Wemyss Bay to the 40mph limit signs at Largs, I counted the traffic which overtook me, and it was 13 cars and 1 bus.

Since then, I have noticed an apparent increase in vehicular traffic, all obviously on "essential journeys" :rolleyes:.
Today I cycled the same stretch of road, in the same direction and about the same time of day. Weather was like Easter Monday; sunny and dry. Today I counted the traffic which overtook me - 10 cars and no buses!

Once in Largs, traffic was heavier. I can only assume that "local" traffic is on the increase as people chance their arm with a short run out to the supermarket, or other assorted errands. Outside of town, all seems just as quiet as it was a few weeks ago. I'm disappointed to report that I can't have a good rant on the subject :laugh:.
Only slightly north of you but there is a definite increase in traffic which is easily identifiable by Mrs Slick who is like a canary down the mines and the quiet roads that we have enjoyed the last few weeks are no more as we had to take a detour of our planned route yesterday on to the more quiet lanes as she didn't feel comfortable with new level of traffic, which was a shame.

C R

Guru
Peeps, there's official stats out there: suggest you look em up, THEN start your argument!
Where's the fun in that? Next you'll be asking for well reasoned arguments.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Since lockdown started, I've walked the dog on pretty much the same route at a similar time each day - it's essentially the only route I can walk from home that will be relatively quiet in terms of pedestrian traffic and gives me enough space to ensure a 2m gap.

Part of it is alongside the ring road A6120 and where it meets the A64 and the lack of traffic at the start of lockdown was very noticeable. It had gone from busy and queuing to almost non-existant.
Traffic has definitely picked up over the last week or so, regardless of what the official stats might say. It's nowhere near "normal" but it's building.
Opening places like Costa and KFC won't help the situation going forward either as this story from yesterday in Wakefield shows:
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...ld-costa-coffee-causes-long-tailbacks-2779050

Worryingly a significant number of motorists are racing round like idiots too.

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I live in a town ,l am seeing much heavier traffic around town but once out on the open road still very light I am enjoying using bits o road I would normally avoid.

Tempted to go out after dark when it really is noticeable how silent it is. I have taken to looking out the upstairs window for a while at night just to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Last edited:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
If pre lockdown traffic levels were 100%, the first 3 weeks of lockdown sat at around 5-10% of ‘normal’ levels. This has exponentially increased to around 40% of ‘normal’ levels since week 3.

It’s still pleasant enough of the roads at the moment with current traffic volumes. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for shared use paths with their pedestrian volumes at the moment.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Strange isn’t all these born again exercisers were clearly out for a drive or shopping pre lockdown. Just what we’re they doing with their time (now being used for exercise) before?

Top Bottom