An Irish joke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
Oh for god's sake get off your politically-correct high horse you southern ponce!

Right that's it, I'm reporting you to HR for Harassment on a public internet forum. Also your derogatory comments about horses have been noted. :ohmy::blush:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
If you claim to be Irish, you can tell Kerryman jokes, and they are the same jokes, just renamed....

Went camping in Co Kerry last summer and a couple from Armagh were making fun of the Kerry folk - especially the workmen who dumped a load of road chippings in the entrance to the field we were in blocking us in for an hour or two whilst they went and had a tea break before they started work.

domtyler said:
All the same, ridiculing minorities along the lines of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion (among others) on a public internet forum is always going to put you dodgy ground.

It's one thing in the privacy of your own home, with close friends or family but on here you have no idea who is going to read it and being poked fun at and called thick or whatever by a stranger may not be all that funny. You intended to amuse and/or entertain (I assume), but you may well have made someone feel pretty bad. PC or whatever, that's not good.

Just something to think about for next time.

Does it help if I say I was born in NI and I wasn't offended.:ohmy:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
In any case, I think the Irish had the last laugh given their economy etc.
For the record, both my parents were Irish, but I was born here. I don't generally find Irish jokes offensive, (as long as they are funny). It's all context-related really, as in a joke can be amusing, but a joke told with spite behind it is not funny. I can call myself a Plastic Paddy, but if my brother-in-law talks about the "thick Irish c*nts" doing building work for him, I will be offended (this happened, and I had to remind him that my surname is a bit of a giveaway).
It can all be turned to advantage, however: the Spanish tell jokes about people from the town of Lepe.
This is how the "Leperos" dealt with it: (from http://www.surinenglish.com/travel.php?number=14)
Lepe has been used in Spanish jokes to typify a backwater whose inhabitants are not known for their intellectual powers (as in “Why do ‘Leperos’ plant olive groves on the beach? To get anchovy-stuffed olives”). The Leperos themselves, far from taking umbrage, took advantage and have made their town a centre for humour, cashing in on the town’s fame to organize joke-telling contests and invite top comedians to perform there.

Aint Skeered

It drives me mad when people rant on about pc and not upsetting minority/ethnic groups.
Life should not be taken that seriously.
I myself am profoundly deaf, and get the piss taken out of me all the time.

In one place I worked at I was frequently refered to as "deaf c*nt"
People do not mean any malice by it, and I used to give as good as I got.
I am sure the average Irishman would laugh along with you on that joke, and would not take offence

Blue

Legendary Member
I'm Irish. I have lived in Ireland all my life.

I think it seems to be a low aspect of human nature to poke fun at others and racial jokes are just part of that. I can assure you that the Irish think no better or worse of the English than the English do of the Irish. Live and let live.

I do not take insult when hearing an Irish joke. However, I do admit that I am always confused about why so many are told by the English, who I consider to be a race of idiot mongrels :blush: :ohmy:

Blue

Legendary Member
Twenty Inch said:
Blue, we agree at last!

I suspected you couldn't be all bad :ohmy:

Dave5N

Über Member
Aint Skeered said:
It drives me mad when people rant on about pc and not upsetting minority/ethnic groups.

I am sure the average Irishman would laugh along with you on that joke, and would not take offence

How did you know?

classic33

Leg End Member
Arch said:
If you claim to be Irish, you can tell Kerryman jokes, and they are the same jokes, just renamed....

Its true, but as one Irish comedian has said "if your unable to laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at"

Rich American driving large car down narrow country lane runs over the cock in the road. Seeing a farmhouse nearby he decides to walk there & explain what he'd just done.
Elderly woman meets him & he starts saying that he's driven over her rooster, her cockrel.
Woman asks what of it. He replies that he wants to replace it.
Instant reply from the elderly lady, before walking back inside "Please yourself, the hens are round the back".

Dave5N

Über Member
Aint Skeered said:

I work with a few first and second generation Irish and I know that without doubt they would not find it funny.

Rather the opposite.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
re-rewritten for the bleeding hearts and artists:

A rather thick chap of no particular ethnic origin and his missus are lying in bed listening to the next door neighbours' dog barking. It had been barking for hours and hours.

Suddenly the chap jumps up out of bed and says "I've had enough of this".

He goes downstairs.

He finally comes back up to bed and his wife says, "The dog is still barking. What have you been doing?"

The chap says "I've put the dog in our yard . ****in' see how THEY like it !"
:ohmy::rolleyes::blush::rolleyes::biggrin::rolleyes::ohmy::rolleyes:

Aint Skeered

Dave5N said:
How did you know?

Nice one
I can still hear with the help of a hearing aid,I have about 2% hearing in one ear ,and 8% in t'other.
Anyway
That reminds about the bloke who went into a pub with a jack russell.
The barman sais "sorry mate, no dogs"
The guy replies "but it's a guide dog"
The barmen, now a bit embarassed appolagises saying "sorry I didn't realise,
I thought Guide dogs where normally Labradors"
The bloke replies, "what have they given me then":biggrin:

Nice one 'Aint' - I'll tell Jack the dog later!:biggrin:
I read this joke, and the subsequent thread at work but felt very saddened by the stirring and needless comments that followed. The café is normally a bit tongue in cheek and all the posters here know what living is all about. (I think).I know for sure that my topic - including the words Mr Hippo, for example, would be taken in good spirit. It is part of the fun. We all understand the merits and demerits of offending someone and I think people who are offended should just bite their lip and ignore/move on. Otherwise, start a 'complaint' thread in Soapbox if you like, but please leave the sanctimony outside.
We are all as bad as each other at times and 'points scoring' is not the way to go - not here anyway.
It has been on my mind for a while now - it seems that some of the atmosphere here has been spoiled - at a stroke - which is not a nice feeling.

Top Bottom