An Overtake - opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
That manoeuvre is likely to unsettle a cyclist, therefore it is dangerous and could cause an accident. It's pretty shitty driving.

I would be sending it in. Even if it just gets a caution.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was about to suggest the local gov.uk and report it to the Taxi department.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It's not as if he was going to need to wait for ages for a gap in the traffic!
He's a so-called 'professional' driver. Report it, as above, then forget about it. Nowt is likely to happen to him for this incident, but with any luck it will go on his record and action may be taken if this kind of thing is habitual.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Thanks guys; of all the opinions rendered @Milkfloat is probably the most accurate. This is the usual on this road for me and whilst i'm not surprised by the type of incident i am surprised by the type of driver - if you're driving around in a branded vehicle it would make sense to not be a knobber in it. Some people (see Taxi 1819 above) seem to lack that common sense.

I've sent the local council an inquiry about lodging a complaint - nowt will likely happen but it might reach his record come application time.

Drago

Legendary Member
He crowded you, encroached on the opposite lane in the face of oncoming traffic while doing so. I could see no compelling reason why he couldn't have waited 5 seconds and pulled out safely.

Its impossible to be sure, but it also appears that he nipped up the road at a fair rate of knots so it would surprise me not if he was also speeding.

Shouldn't be allowed to earn a living from his licence if that's representative of his road craft.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Well worth reporting to both, in my view, that was very poor, dangerous, and inconsiderate.

Why bother with the camera if you don't report that ? And your report might make a difference to his driving in future.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Why bother with the camera if you don't report that ? And your report might make a difference to his driving in future.

It's mostly to make sure I'm covered if anything massively untoward happens - this is minor, if irritating.

On this road last year I was involved in a serious accident on my bike (Car pulled out late from a junction, stopped dead in the bike lane ahead of me - lots of missing teeth and a morning in A&E and MaxFax plus a written off bike) but had no camera. The driver tried to claim i'd ridden into her without looking and then attempted to set police and insurance companies on me to cough up for damages.

In that instance a camera would have been invaluable. So, having it is my insurance policy, not my weapon.

Looks like a classic SMIDSY but then he saw you last minute and stopped.

I would
A) report it to the police as his exit was not clear so should not have pulled out. Not to mention the close pass of less than 1.5metres

B) Take the video to the taxi office and complain direct. I recently had to do this and the driver got put on an awareness course without any denials or arguments (happy with the result)

keithmac

Guru
I've had this happen to me a fair few times, sad to say you get used to it/ expect it.

There's one spot where they pull out of a side street across the road, there's an island in the middle of the road just after so they have no where to go other than trying to squeeze through when there's no room..

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst not exemplory driving it didn't look that bad; pushy but not daft merging in. It may have been closer / worse in reality than it looked on film of course.

keithmac

Guru
Screenshot_2017-03-24-10-32-10.png

Drago

Legendary Member
It wasn't the end of the World, but I feel aggravated by the fact that it was simply unnecessary, and waiting a couple of seconds would have negated any risk to both cyclist and oncoming car driver. It's not even as if it was a simple case of misjudgement.

I just can't see the motivation behind it, beyond the driver perhaps having business so utterly urgent it justified the minor elevated risk to the clearly less important road users.

Last edited:
Top Bottom