An Overtake - opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

He forced then oncoming car right into the gutter to avoid him. Not slavering loony dangerous, but dangerous neverless.
You must be watching a different video to me

Drago

Legendary Member
Same one, I'm sure. Red car and then silver car both have to deal with Roger Ramjet intruding on to their side of the carriageway. Not exactly Earth shattering stuff, but nevertheless he creates moving proximity risk for no reason.

Reactions: mjr
D

Deleted member 26715

Nope, not defending him but I think you're reading way too much into it, after the ill advised move he's on the correct side of the white line, therefore he doesn't really pose anymore danger than any other vehicle, an HGV would probably have to take up that position. Neither of the vehicles changed their direction that I could see in the video I watched, maybe you watched it with your Taxi driver hatred glasses on,

Ultimate question, would that driver have done that to a car/lorry/bus. Probably not.
You are a very fragile vehicle, so yes, report it, issue to the police for the shoddy driving, and the council as he's under a public transport licence, issued and governed by them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nope, not defending him but I think you're reading way too much into it, after the ill advised move he's on the correct side of the white line,
The video in the opening post? It doesn't look like he is - it looks like the red car moves onto the rough/dusty stuff well left of the usual flow, the misovertaker still has two wheels over the line by the time the back end comes past (at least it's better than squashing the rider) and is still pretty much on top of the line when the silver car also moves right over to the other kerb. See gallery:
Screenshot17:02:36.png
Screenshot17:03:22.png
Screenshot17:04:21.png

It's a long long time ago when I did Taxi's early 90's but if I had been shown that by somebody about one of my drivers I'd be having a word with them, although in itself is not exactly dangerous it is intimidating & there was no need for it. He could have as easily waited 10 seconds & pulled out behind you safely.
Interesting to read that. Some taxi companies stand out for consistently good standards.

Others ....... need "a little persuasion". Nothing quite like a CD with a couple of dozen shitty overtakes from one single company over a period of 3 months, with a mention of his operating licence. Funny how the boss's attitude changed; 1000%. :evil: Hmm - that was fun; and they're still driving immaculately 5 years later.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I miss working in hotels giving them £thousands a day in business where if one of their drivers sneezed at you in the wrong direction you'd get sent a couple of pizzas or some Chinese to say sorry :dry:

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
An update from the council:

"Just a quick update regarding your complaint.

I have traced and spoken with the driver of the taxi. He remembers the incident, and stated that he was of the opinion that he had given you enough room, he did however accept that this view taken from the cyclist's position may differ considerably. He was apologetic for his action and confirms that he will take more care in the future when coming out of junctions.

He was warned regarding the manner of his driving and this will be entered against his record, but no further action will be taken at this time.

I trust that the above meets with your approval.

Regards

Bryan"

All in all a decent response swiftly followed-through. I've thanked the council for their time on this and hopefully this particular taxi driver will be slightly more cautious on the roads.

It wasn't the end of the World, but I feel aggravated by the fact that it was simply unnecessary, and waiting a couple of seconds would have negated any risk to both cyclist and oncoming car driver. It's not even as if it was a simple case of misjudgement.

I just can't see the motivation behind it, beyond the driver perhaps having business so utterly urgent it justified the minor elevated risk to the clearly less important road users.

I have to admit than when I drive (well, ride motorcycle) I get very frustrated. Altho I havent had any such incidents or confrontations, it certainly doesnt help things when your piste off. Its just motoring in general, its depressing and infuriating. I believe this alone is enough to turn people into twats when behind the wheel. Im not justifying bad driving, but the state of motoring is a major contributor to bad driving.

I hardly ever ride my motorcycle these days, only to go back and forth to work or the bike garage. But even when commuting, I will cycle if the weather is dry and I am not knackered. Im particularly lucky in that when I cycle to work, the 1st half of the journey is by a quiet B road, the second half is along canal towpath and cycle path. Altho it takes longer to cycle, its mostly very pleasant.

Top Bottom