An Overtake - opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoshM

Is that Perth Road? I hated cycling down that road when I lived in Dundee. Although its a busy residential road, it feels feels quite unsafe. Lots of 'parked' cars partiallyobstructing the carriage way and lots of traffic make it slow which increases driver impatience meaning that I experienced an unusually high number of dodgy passes on it.

I'd report it, especially to the taxi licensing people, it might make him take more care in future.

I've sent the local council an inquiry about lodging a complaint - nowt will likely happen but it might reach his record come application time.
You might be surprised - especially if any of the guys in the taxi licensing department are themselves cyclists. DAMHIKT.

gbb

Legendary Member
It's surprising how often you see incidents like the OP, car appears to come straight at you from a junction. I have wondered if it's in some cases down to lack of thought for the cyclist, not a 'fcuk you' lack of thought but a lack of awareness or thought as to how it feels as a cyclist to see a ton of metal coming at you. The driver may well be thinking...it's all under control, I know you're there, I'm turning, I'm not going to hit you....but not realise how that feels at the cyclists end.
Just a theory, in some cases it may be true....pretty poor driving but maybe not malicious

gbb

Legendary Member
As an afterthought, in taxi drivers case...he just wanted to get out because the oncoming car would have held him up for ...ooh, seconds. He just went for it despite you being there. P1ss poor attitude.

Slick

Guru
Cheeky bastardo if you ask me. It happens here as well quite often which I find really annoying.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Is that Perth Road? I hated cycling down that road when I lived in Dundee. Although its a busy residential road, it feels feels quite unsafe. Lots of 'parked' cars partiallyobstructing the carriage way and lots of traffic make it slow which increases driver impatience meaning that I experienced an unusually high number of dodgy passes on it.

I'd report it, especially to the taxi licensing people, it might make him take more care in future.

Strathern Road in the Ferry. It's a weird road with a dotted bike lane and some truly spectacular failings:

upload_2017-3-27_13-45-48.png

Yes, that would be a cycle lane that runs into an outcropping. Try navigating that one at speed.

All in all it's a bad road to ride due to drivers simply not giving two flying fraks about who they bully into the kerb.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Yes, that would be a cycle lane that runs into an outcropping. Try navigating that one at speed.

All in all it's a bad road to ride due to drivers simply not giving two flying fraks about who they bully into the kerb.
They need to learn from here, the trick is to randomly paint cycles on the pavement AND put a narrow strip of brown tarmac guiding cyclists into the path of traffic. Shows they've thought about cyclists, even if that thought was buried within some sort of motorist wet dream.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7...4!1sx5qyFsru-RuJeieItlOeng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Incidentally before the council bolloxed it up for everyone it was just a normal bus stop.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
They need to learn from here, the trick is to randomly paint cycles on the pavement AND put a narrow strip of brown tarmac guiding cyclists into the path of traffic. Shows they've thought about cyclists, even if that thought was buried within some sort of motorist wet dream.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7...4!1sx5qyFsru-RuJeieItlOeng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Incidentally before the council bolloxed it up for everyone it was just a normal bus stop.

That's a clusterfrak if ever i saw one. I mean... just... what? What was going on when the plans were laid out for that lane? Jeezo...

Incidentally, same road as before (Strathern) and the spot where i lost my teeth and bike:

upload_2017-3-28_9-46-58.png

Faint bike lane through a bus-stop. Genius!

D

Deleted member 26715

Doubt the Police will be interested but I suspect the council will, in my experience running a Taxi firm most council employees like you to know how powerful they are.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Doubt the Police will be interested but I suspect the council will, in my experience running a Taxi firm most council employees like you to know how powerful they are.

I suppose this is the problem; i don't want to cause a ruckus, i'd rather just have someone point out to the guy that it wasn't great driving. I would have tried it myself had he not sped off :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

It's a long long time ago when I did Taxi's early 90's but if I had been shown that by somebody about one of my drivers I'd be having a word with them, although in itself is not exactly dangerous it is intimidating & there was no need for it. He could have as easily waited 10 seconds & pulled out behind you safely.

Top Bottom