An unfashionable gearing set up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
what I'm trying to achieve
  • Live an a hilly area so want a wide range of gears
  • Gradients change quite often so I want to get in roughly the right gear quickly
  • Occasionally ride in flatter areas and want exactly the right gear
Get a super compact (46/30) and and 11-32 cassette.
That gives you what you need (25" to 110")and can be handled by a medium cage derailleur - see this calculator:
http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...5,28,32&UF=2135&TF=100&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Get a front triple . A double will drive you mad with shifting front and back simultaneously. Triple far better for being able to just move up,and down rear cassette with odd shift at front. I’d advise 44 or 46t big ring, more than enough for speed on flat.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Get a front triple
OP is looking for an unfashionable gearing set-up, though, not an 'everyone's riding one' triple. ;)
And I double shift on my triple (52-39-30): not yet mad sfaik. A slick double shift allows one to feel that all is well with the world and one's maths.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
OP is looking for an unfashionable gearing set-up, though, not an 'everyone's riding one' triple. ;)
And I double shift on my triple (52-39-30): not yet mad sfaik. A slick double shift allows one to feel that all is well with the world and one's maths.

Triple are fashionable you are saying? I thought it was the opposite?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Apart from the dropouts being too narrow to accommodate modern hubs, limiting the choice of what you can do.

You really don't need a million cogs on your back wheel to achieve a useful range of gearing so long as you have a good spread at the front, and it isn't necessary to ride at exactly the same cadence regardless of road speed, as SS/fixed riders prove every day.
Most of the modern cassettes with a lot of sprockets have one or two really small ones that you are hardly ever going to use in normal cycling, and a couple of really big ones that you could just as easily achieve the same gearing with having a smaller spread at the back and a granny ring on the front. The middle sprockets of most cassettes are pretty much the same as what you would find on a 6/7 speed freewheel, without the extreme small and large sprockets at either end.

Last edited:
I've got two bikes with front triples, I knew I would be the height of fashion at some point in time, it's just a matter of waiting 20-30 years.^_^

Likewise me. What goes around, comes around... ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a biopace triple just waiting for the right bike, saved when recently resuscitating for a son a bike I bought in 1997. The chainset was/is worth more than the bike (which got a MTB crankset as its replacement: for an undemanding COVID-motivated London commute).

Top Bottom