and another killer escapes justice....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I am aghast.

thomas

the tank engine
However, Neil Greig, assistant director of the Institutes of Advanced Motorists Motoring Trust, said the sheriff's decision "sent out the wrong message".

He said: "People who are charged with a death because of their driving should be given a strong message that they will be punished."
+1. IAM talking sense again!!

AndyB

This is so depressing.
Are we just some sort of subhuman road kill to them?

There is almost no consideration for the guy who was killed.
He was someone's dad. :tongue:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
magnatom said:
;).

Lesson: If you want to kill someone, and avoid jail, run them over with a car.

It does make you wonder, could be cheaper and easier than a divorce for some....can they still benefit from spouses life insurance?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
[quote name='swee'pea99']""This quite obviously had a terrible outcome for the family of the accused"

The ACCUSED? Jesus H Christ....
[/QUOTE]

No fan of the Daily Express, but their reporting quotes...

"Sheriff McSherry told McKay: “This quite obviously had a terrible outcome for the family of the victim, but....<wrong headed bollox>"

which is probably more believable but doesn't make up for the total twattery of the sentence. The DE also reports that he was in court the same day for a breach of the peace and he was fined for skipping bail.

I'm normally wary of how the media reports court proceedings and outcomes, but the sentence was just as wrong as it gets. He'll be behnd the wheel again in 12 months.

Trying to look forward, is there any hope of a private prosecution by the widow? Is this the kind of thing the Cyclists' Defence Fund should be interested in?

yello

Fluffy said:
Its times like this that make me want to emigrate. Our justice system is pathetic.

I'm not entirely sure it'd be entirely different elsewhere. I think it's a motorist-centric public attitude that exists in many many countries. You know the kind of thinking; 'it was an accident, could have happened to anyone' and also that somehow the cyclist is considered to be at least partially at fault for being on the roads at that time of the day. Like somehow it was an inevitability that the driver could not have avoided and is so somehow deserving of some kind of mitigating sympathy.

You'd see it in the way people drive pretty much everywhere I suspect. I certainly see it here in France. There is so little regard for the 'what if' scenario.

Top Bottom