And that m'dear is why I bought a Tricross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Well, today I decided to take the new bike up some hills. I was a bit sore after yesterday but I wanted to check if the new seat position solved my sore knee issue (it did) and the forecast said bad weather was coming in from tonight so I grabbed my chance.

Here's the hills in question -
IMAG0173_zps5bdee76d.jpg

The Ochils, near Stirling. Right next to the Wallace Monument in fact -
IMAG0174_zps50899ef7.jpg

My plan was to go up the steep tarmac single track road (part of the old Stirling - Perth drover's road) to the Sherrifmuir Inn, have a pint, then come home via Bridge of Allan.

Pictures cannot describe how steep this road is -
IMAG0175_zps18345914.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that, even with granny gears, I had to walk the worst sections.

Remember the pic of the Wallace Monument? Here's another only a few minutes later -
IMAG0178_zps931d489c.jpg

The scenery was quite stunning, and my phone camera doesn't do it justice -

IMAG0176_zpsd9c8890c.jpg

Anyhoo, I finally made it up the hill and was swooping through the undulating moors when I spied something -

IMAG0180_zpsa288f5ee.jpg

Ooh, thought I. That looks interesting. It's the kind of track I often passed by on my road bike really wishing I could go exploring. But, now I had a Tricross and ...

IMAG0179_zps0831f0fd.jpg

An open invitation surely?

Here's one of the smoother bits, not exactly road bike terrain.

IMAG0182_zps12500165.jpg

It is however, great terrain for learning how to unclip from clipless pedals in a hurry. Or not, as the case may be.

IMAG0183_zps8d2dddf9.jpg

What that shot doesn't show is me giggling like a wean as I took it.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Again and again I stopped to take pics of the scenery. Sometimes when I hadn't even fallen off anyway -
IMAG0184_zps43b9e0bc.jpg

Then I met some locals - notice which side of the fence they're on!

IMAG0185_zpsa8af74af.jpg

This is Shonagh (I decided)
IMAG0187_zpse5989723.jpg

Shonagh had no intention of moving.

IMAG0188_zps9b420228.jpg

So I had to dismount and walk past her, before beginning the insanely steep descent

IMAG0189_zps544d2c4f.jpg

Here we are back home. The more observant amongst you may notice the rear mudguard is missing.
IMAG0194_zpsf54d6148.jpg

After I rode into a ditch up in the hills, there was an awfy scraping noise coming from my back wheel, which intensified as I went far too fast down a steep rocky mummydaddymummydaddy descent before suddenly stopping. I presume the "suddenly stopping" moment was when my mudguard and I parted company. More worrying though was realising my front wheel was nearly off -
IMAG0193_zps698a8bea.jpg

Eek! Still, a bit of fettling and I'll be up those hills in no no time.

Here's the Endomondo route - 812 ft up in less than 2 miles!

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/ndwgmaVPEgg

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Do you know, I was grinning like a loony all the way back and I'm still grinning.

defy-one

Norm - can i try your tricross sometime. I have £500 for my commuter and want to take my time in selecting the type of bike i buy.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Some nice pics there....and your braver than me with that ascent:smile:.....oh dont worry too much about the clipless moment......i have had a few already.......all but one in front of loads of motorists....at least you were out of the way with only the wildlife to witness:biggrin:

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

..at least you were out of the way with only the wildlife to witness:biggrin:

At one point a young family were coming in the opposite direction. With a huge pool of water straddling the path, they took the left hand side and I took the right - straight into a hidden ditch which swallowed my front wheel to the top of the forks before I did a slow motion fall whilst still clipped in. Their two young girls found it most amusing and I have to admit to laughing myself.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
why we always do the falling in slow motion!:biggrin:

Sounds to me you had a great ride there....and some stunning scenery.......i must make more time to "take time" whilst out and about instead of just whipping myself into a frenzy.....

Norm

Norm - can i try your tricross sometime. I have £500 for my commuter and want to take my time in selecting the type of bike i buy.
Of course you can, sir. It's a couple of years old but I think the main change is that disc brakes are available now, although the cantis on mine seem to do OK.

Top Bottom